Acoustic Guitars/Sigma DM-4C

QUESTION: Can you tell me what the facing of the headstock is covered with? It appears to be something made to look like rosewood but I'm not sure if it's a real rosewood veneer or some kind of painted decal or something it doesn't match any other part of the guitar which is mahogany. Also, do you know if this guitar has a solid spruce top? I purchased it new around 1990. Thanks, Andy

ANSWER: Hi Andy. The headstock plate is laminate Indian rosewood. The Sigma by Martin DM-4C was put on the Sigma price lists around April 1993 and was sold for a few years. The beginiing MSRP of this model was $525.00 USD. This is a all laminate guitar but the lam construction was a top notch 3 piece same species solid core method. This means the middle piece was solid and of the same type of wood. i.e., lower quality solid mahogany not suitable for facing would be the solid middle portion of this type of lam, faced on either side of A+ well figured mahogany veneer, This is also true of the other Sigma lam portions such as the spruce top. Hope this answers your query. Cheers

QUESTION: The only thing is I definitely bought the guitar prior to 1993 in Portland, Maine. It may have been 1992 and I paid about $230. Could it have been an early release of the model or something?

Hi Andy-no, it is not an early was probably being sold before the new updted price lists came out. Here is the breakdown of what your model is:

D=Dreadnought body style
M= Mahogany Laminate(back and sides)
4= model number refers to the quality of materials used and number of appointments...the higher the number, the higher the quality og materials used, the level of craftmanship employed and the number of appointments present (like abalone inlay, etc) the highest number is 45, anything over the number 7 has a solid top
C: Cutaway body

Hope this helps, Cheers, Kevin  

Acoustic Guitars

Kevin Dunham

Sigma by Martin guitars, Vintage Asian Import Guitars, acoustic guitars, american guitars, vintage music gear and vinyl record albums

I am a scholar and researcher of vintage Asain Import guitars and my area of expertise is Sigma by Martin fretted instruments imported by C.F. Martin & Co. from 1970-2007. I have been compiling materials and studying Sigma since 2008.

I have my own website,, a blog, Sigma Martin Memo's, I am a consultant on the Vintage Sigma Guitars Facebook page and am an editor of the Sigma Guitars Wikipedia page. I am also writing a book on the sigma line and have just returned from MArtin in NAzareth where I was granted access to and permisiion to reproduce Sigma by MArtin materials by Dick Boak, Archivist at Martin. Martin customer service representatives now refer Sigma by Martin inquiries that they cannot answer to me.

My book propsal is currently under review by Hal Leonard Performing Arts Publshing group and an article I wrote for Vintage Guitar Mazine is under advisement.

Studied at Linn Benton Community Collage in Albany Oregon and Marylhurst University in Portannd, Oregon. I have been a lifelong musician and student of guitars and am a guitar tech.