Acoustic Neuroma/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
AN or something else? please help me!4/7/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I'm 26 years old. about 2 months ago i got a pain in my right cheek bone and under my right ear.. ...
  A: A tumor does not mean cancer. Many tumors are benign, they grow slowly and are easy to treat, so ...
AN4/6/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I am planning on having Gamma Knife on May 6th,2009. I am just seeing if you have ever heard of any ...
  A: Gamma Knife has been around for several decades and is a proven method of AN treatment. It does not ...
Ear problems4/3/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I'm not sure if you handle these types of questions, but there is no one else on this site who seems ...
  A: If your hearing loss is one-sided, ear plugs are not likely to be the direct cause, since they work ...
AN ....????3/31/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: My right ear has been making a loud pulsating noise that worsen when I lay down. The noise is also ...
  A: A number of things could be causing the noise in your right ear, from Lupus to a brain tumor. It is ...
Acoustic Neuroma Surgery and Headache3/23/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I had AN removed back in 2003 and ever since until now, (March 2009), I've been experiencing ...
  A: Headaches are common after AN surgery; so is deafness in that ear. To deal with headaches, I ...
Intracochlear Schwannoma3/20/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: Your info has been very helpful. Is it your belief that an IS behaves the same as an AN?? It is ...
  A: The medical name for AN is "vestibular schwannoma", meaning a shwannoma of the vestibular nerve. The ...
My wife's hearing problem3/18/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: My wife, 50yo, has been suffering from headaches, progressive hearing loss, pulsatile tinnitus and a ...
  A: There are specialists both in UK and in Singapore for treating this kind of problem. Given the small ...
Intracochlear Schwannoma3/4/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: Back again! I have the unitlateral hearing loss with pulsatile tinnitus which I have been told is ...
  A: Acoustic Neuromas can grow anywhere along the vestibular nerve, from the cochlea to the brain. ...
Acoustic Neuroma and Short Term Hearing Loss2/9/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I had an AN removed via the Middle Fossa approach in Jan 1998. At that time, I was/had been ...
  A: I am not clear whether you experienced any memory loss prior to surgery; it sounds like you did. ...
Suspected Intracochlear Schwannoma2/6/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  A: It certainly sounds like an acoustic neuroma (vestibular schwannoma). There are specialists both in ...
post gamma knife effects1/28/2009Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I was identified with ACOSTIC NEUROMA in my left ear. I approached the doctor when i noticed loss ...
  A: The information you got it right. ANs do tend to swell after gamma knife surgery, so it is a good ...
ear ringing and facial numbness and headaches12/15/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I have had ringing in my left ear for over a year now, which has become constant. At the same time ...
  A: The fact that the ringing is one-sided, and that there is facial numbness on the same side, suggests ...
Use of TransEar after Radiosurgery12/11/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I am 62 year old male with 1cm AN in left ear, just treated with single-dose Novalis radiosurgery 2 ...
  A: The vibration of the device is purely mechanical, and cannot affect the progress of the tumor as it ...
slight ringing in my left ear12/10/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: Am vasanth and my age is 20. Am having a slight ringing in my left ear from past 3 days. Am able to ...
  A: The stiffness in the right jaw is definitely not connected to the Acoustic Neuroma. There is a ...
MRI without Gadolinium contrast dye12/9/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I'd be grateful if you could answer my query. I am writing from the UK. Because of recent symptoms - ...
  A: It is true that the gadolinium dye is only used halfway through the MRI procedure. I am not sure ...
Accoustic Neuroma?12/7/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I had hearing loss in my left ear & noise.Consulted with ENT specialist.He advised Audiological ...
  A: Your symptoms, and the MRI results are consistent with a small to medium-size Acoustic Neuroma. ANs ...
neurinoma tumour of ponto cerebellar angle11/22/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: Now the best neurosurgeons for this type of surgery in the United States?
  A: For many AN patients, the best is to avoid invasive treatment -- i.e. radiosurgery, GK (Gamma Knife) ...
hypo-FRS11/14/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I have read that 5 treatments of FRS is more likely to have higher hearing preservation than with 3. ...
  A: There is sufficient research to show that either 3 or 5 treatments of FRS have higher hearing ...
possible AN11/10/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I have had some mild hearing loss for about 3-4 years even though a hearing test at my ENT centre ...
  A: Your symptoms are consistent with AN. Standard hearing tests, which ask you to listen to beeps, are ...
Acoustic Neuroma11/10/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: One morning in mid-September I awakened with severe ear pain, facial numbness, and a noticeable ...
  A: I do not blame you for trying to avoid surgery. AN surgery is very risky, and in my opinion does ...
Hurting Ear11/5/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: My right ear have been hurting for 3 weeks. It feels like a lot of pressure is being made on it ...
  A: Clearly, whatever is causing problems with your ear cannot be seen externally. Something is going ...
Increasing tinnitus, dizziness, myoclonus, facial numbness11/3/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: About a year ago, I started having little muscle spasms in my left ear, usually in response to ...
  A: It sounds like a good idea to have another MRI. Please make sure that it is (a) done with a ...
? AN11/2/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I had a sudden hearing loss 2 yrs ago. Was unable to have an MRI due to history of bilateral ...
  A: It is quite possible that your sudden hearing loss two years ago was caused by an Acoustic Neuroma ...
Viral Labyrinthitis10/31/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: About 2months ago I woke up with the room spinning and a roaring sound in my ear. The doctor ...
  A: Your combination of symptoms on (dizziness, roaring sound on the right, fullness and numbness on the ...
Is MRI necessary?10/27/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I am a generally healthy 31 yo female. On Oct 1 while on vacation I had sudden hearing loss, ...
  A: The contrast dye does sound like gadolinium. The audiologist should not limit themselves to the ...
2nd opinion10/20/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I got my diagnosis last fall and had my 3rd MRI a couple of weeks ago. Saw my Dr. at Hopkins last ...
  A: Acoustic Neuroma surgery is very risky, and your risk is mostly dependent on the experience and ...
my ears10/19/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: i have had tinnitus,veritgo,floating feeling bad when i am drivivg.walk into walls sometimes.train ...
  A: Unfortunately, with these symptoms, a brain tumor is possible. There may be other reasons, such as ...
weird noise around my head10/17/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I have a noise that "feels"like it is surrounding my head and not in my ears. It sounds like a steam ...
  A: If you were exposed to very loud noises when you were younger, perhaps during rock concerts or ...
Long term tinnitus10/17/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I have had problems with my left ear for 30 years. High pitched ringing, hearing loss, can hear ...
  A: It is best to wait for the results of the MRI rather than guess ahead of time. Note that your ...
ear ringing, right side numbess of face10/4/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I am a 30 y.o. female. For the past few months I have noticed constant ringing in my right ear. It ...
  A: You do not mention whether you have any degradation in your right-side hearing, or any other ...
Sudden hearing loss syndrome9/13/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: My name is Lyle on 8/7/08 I woke up and could not hear in my right ear I went to my Doctors office ...
  A: What happened to you is very common. We expect our doctors to know everything, but they are only ...
intracoclear schwannoma8/11/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: It has been determined that I have a 5 to 6 mm intracochlear schwannoma of the inner ear. I have ...
  A: Radiosurgery, especially hypofractionated FSR, has a better record of preserving hearing than any ...
Right Facial numbness+ slight ringing on right ear8/9/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I am a male 33 chinese and I have this right facial numbness from the cheek, lip and under the eye. ...
  A: There are inexpensive tests that can determine if your high pitched noise (called tinnitus) is from ...
AN8/3/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: For 2yrs I have been treated for Menieres.. Over time it became much better and Dr allowed me to ...
  A: Kim, What exactly are your symptoms, how did they develop, and are they one-sided or two-sided? ...
sharp quick pains in ear7/30/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I had an Acoustic Neuroma removed about 3 yrs ago, not really any problems, lost my hearing in that ...
  A: There is a possibility that you are having a recurrence of your AN; it is not uncommon, if the ...
Schwannoma7/24/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I also experienced sudden hearing loss associated with pulsatile tinnitis in my right year in Jan. ...
  A: It does sound like an acoustic neuroma, also known as a vestibular schwannoma. All your symptoms are ...
numbness on left side7/17/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: Four days ago i was hit on the face with a box spring and just now my face is getting numb on the ...
  A: You probably do not have Acoustic Neuroma, but rather a complication of your trauma to the facial ...
right ear loss of hearing and fullness7/10/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I am a 56 year-old woman with a history of gradual hearing loss and tinnitis in the right ear. I ...
  A: Your symptoms are classic for an acoustic neuroma. Has a BSER test (BrainStem Evoked Response) been ...
AN6/8/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: I am a 47 yr old female. I went to an ENT about 2 years ago with complaints of hearing loss in right ...
  A: Your symptoms are consistent with AN. Two years ago, did your ENT give you a test that involved ...
AN? Menieres? Again!6/1/2008Dina Q Goldin, Ph.D.
  Q: How would they rule out the AN? I was given a CNS type exam in office - follow the finger, ...
  A: There is a strong reason to suspect AN in your case. Unless the doctors have been able to rule out ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3   |  Next       All

Acoustic Neuroma