Acting in Plays, Singing/how to overcome my fear of acting in front of people

Henry Strozier wrote at 2008-04-20 16:26:56
As an actor with more than forty years experience who has lost all desire to go onstage again because of line fear and general fatigue with the whole medium, may I suggest that the only real way to overcome the fright is to be so moment to moment specific that you become so lost in the play that the lines become "built in" to what you're doing.  One of the best moments in the Stanislavski books is when the young actor smears the makeup all over his face and "becomes" the character, so that what happens onstage is so intimate that the audience really is just an entity that is privileged to be looking in on this  private interaction.  Of course, one of the things that used to comfort me was knowing that without the audience, what I was doing would not be called theatre, but insanity. If I were alone in my basement playing Malvolio, it might be fun for me, but it wouldn't be the art, and yes, "art" implies technique, projection, clarity and  a host of other not so "realistic" things, of theatre. Share yourself by losing yourself.

Anonymous wrote at 2012-11-22 09:03:42
Shannon, I am stage fright to and seeing your question made me think... Why am i scared... because sure people will laugh BUT at least you did what you couldn't do and you can practice and practice until your ready for the real deal but the best way to overcome your fear of stage fright is get up there and do it no matter what I have always been stage fright if I went on stage i would freeze up and do nothing but now you got me thinking if you freeze do something ANYTHING so yo wont make a fool of yourself at least.

Acting in Plays, Singing

Arlene Schulman

I have been a director, dramaturg, actor and acting coach for over twenty-five years and am happy to share my expertise in learning to act, character development, taking direction, acting styles and techniques, auditioning techniques, how to choose an audition monologue or song (but NOT specific audition songs or monologues), learning lines, script analysis, acting in musicals, dramas, comedies, farces, mysteries and even new plays in their first productions. I am NOT a voice teacher or vocal coach. My expertise is in acting and directing, not in singing. I can not advise you on specific audition songs, vocal exercises, how to stretch your range or on solving vocal problems. For that you need an expert on singing and vocal work. And there is at least one very good one on this list.

I have been a director, dramaturg, actor and acting coach in the NYC/NJ area for over twenty-four years. I have directed dramas, comedies, musicals, mysteries, thrillers and farces as well as directing original plays in staged readings, workshops, showcases and world premieres. I have worked with all level of actors from amateurs to Equity, from children to seniors.

Society of Stage Directors and Choreographers - associate member
Literary Managers & Dramaturgs of America - associate member
Shakespeare Association of America
The Shakespeare Instititute - MA candidate - "Shakespeare & Theatre"