Acting in Plays, Singing/Audition Songs

Hello again. I asked you this question earlier and you asked that it not be private. I agree that itshould be so and am sorry that I did not do such in the first place. Here is the question.

I am Emily, age 15, and I am auditioning for a local production of Les Miserables. I am a mezzo soprano/alto and have no training at all. I am not able to buy any audition material, so I need a piece that I can access through youtube or other websites. Do you have any suggestions for audition songs?

Thank you.

Hi, Emily

Thank you for the question.

Consider any of the following:

I'd Give My Life For You MISS SAIGON
Someone Else's Story CHESS
You Can Always Count On Me CITY OF ANGELS

Whatever you choose to sing, go prepared to sing the entire song. Also be prepared to sing a 16-measure excerpt if asked.

Looking ahead at future auditions, one thing to consider about obtaining materials, i.e., sheet music, etc., is to consult your Main Library. Talk to the Reference Librarian about inter-library loans. If what you are looking for is not in your library's collection, it's possible to have what you need sent from some other branch. But don't wait till the last minute.

Start building your audition portfolio now. Youtube is a great way to become better acquainted with songs that fit your range, personality, and musical abilities. Always try to find the song as sung by the Original Cast even if the youtube doesn't have a video but only the audio portion. Find ballads and up-tempos from every major composer who has had a show on Broadway for at least the poast 25 years.

Check out this anthology devoted to the Broadway alto and mezzo-soprano:
Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology - Volume 1 Revised - Mezzo-Soprano/Belter

There are five volumes in this series. Once you are at the site, find the other four volumes and check out all the song titles and the names of all the shows. Then start listening to them on youtube. Again, learn how to do research at your library and learn how to work their photo copy machines.

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley Graduate work in Ethics