Acting in Plays, Singing/Just Curious

Question
Hi. My name is Kennedy. I'm 14 and wanted to make sure i was getting the right training. The theatre business is super unpredictable, but I feel like this is what I want to do with my life. I have been taking voice lessons for 7 years, piano lessons for 10, and dance classes for 6. I really want to pursue Broadway theatre. What would bee the easiest way for a girl in California to get an agent and get known in other areas?

Answer
Thanks for your question. You obviously have a very clear idea of the realities of theatre and the acting profession, and you are just as obviously taking the right steps toward success in this field.

First of all, your preparation is great but (from what I gathered) not entirely complete. Voice, piano and dance lessons are all excellent steps, but don't forget acting classes and workshops too. Along with those, if feasible, consider auditioning for parts in community theatre productions - you can learn a lot even from "amateur" actors (many of whom I have found have much more professional attitudes and approaches than some storied professionals). And plan on continuing your education on into college; even if you get professional work right out of the gate, a college education will give you additional skills that will give you an edge and greatly enhance your understanding of the cultures and source material you work from.

Secondly, you ask a question most actors looking to make a living at their craft ask, and without an easy answer. In fact, attracting the attention of an agent can literally be a lifelong pursuit - it took a fellow actor in my current show nearly 30 years to get an effective agent. In this case, the only effective process is a single word: persistence. Find an agent you want to represent you and basically "pester" them until they contact you. That includes inviting them to every production and performance you have. It's the only way it's going to happen.

Lastly, if you are interested in Broadway, you'd better be ready to (a) move to New York, and (b) do whatever your ethics allow you to to live and succeed until you make it. And don't be in too much of a hurry - it sounds like you've got plenty of time to make sure your skills are sterling before attempting to break into the Great White Way.

And never forget to have fun. If you're not having fun, you're in the wrong profession.

Break a leg, and let me know how you do!

-- Spyder

Acting in Plays, Singing

J. Spyder Isaacson