Acting in Plays, Singing/GREASE Audition

I'm a senior in high school and for our spring musical we are doing Grease. I have done musical theater for most of my life and usually don't have much trouble picking audition peaces but this time I'm stuck. Rizzo has always been my dream roll and now that I have a chance of going for this roll I want to make sure i have the best audition song and monologue that i can possibly find. No one in my theater troupe is really type cast as Rizzo so I think my Chances are high, the only thing is I don't want to do a song that is traditionally sung for auditions for the part of Rizzo like, Whatever Lola Wants (DAMN YANKEES)Steam Heat (PAJAMA GAME) Hit Me With A Hot Note And Watch Me Bounce (SWING and SOPHISTICATED LADIES or I Can Cook Too (ON THE TOWN) because I have a big theater troupe and almost everyone who is auditioning for Rizzo is singing one of these songs, so do you know any songs that would work for this audition that aren't always used for Rizzo auditions.

Hi, Michelle –

Thank you for the question.

Consider "Easy To Be Hard" (HAIR) and "Fools Fall In Love" (SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE). Click on the URLs below to order on-line. Notice that you can transpose the keys.

Easy To Be Hard – the version shown (first page only) is in F Major with a range from C4 to C5:

Fools Fall In Love – a pop song appropriated into the musicals SMOKEY JOE'S CAFE and ALL SHOOK UP.

Also consider "The End of the World" – a song that Skeeter Davis introduced in 1963 and that was appropriated into the Off-Broadway juke box musical, OIL CITY SYMPHONY. Try it in the key of C or D Major:

The End of the World

Your job at this audition is to display the vocal chops of a professional Pop/Rock singer, i.e., one that is the Lead Singer in a band. Most artists in this field project a lot of sexual energy / sexual complexity. Their songs are not always about being the hottest thing on the block but also, like Rizzo, how very vulnerable they can be – especially if they are misunderstood or their lover has cheated on them, etc.

Whatever you choose to sing – and considering that Rizzo is your dream role – then your presentation must be edgy and fearless. In other words, don't hold back.

I am a vocal coach to working singers in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm also an entertainment critic for – and Classical music reviewer for – When you're ready to come to San Francisco for vocal coaching, contact me at:

Check out my recent interview with popular TV host, David Perry, on "Ten Percent":

Below are links to my articles and youtubes on San Francisco's entertainment and cultural scene:

Patricia Racette – A Definitive 'Tosca' at San Francisco Opera

One Night Only – 'Star Trek: The Next Generation – The Second Season', 11/29

Film director Luis Valdez on Día de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead)

'Moby-Dick' opens at San Francisco Opera: A Conversation with Composer Jake Heggie

Pianist András Schiff on the 'Bach Project in North America'

Vasily Petrenko, BRIT Male Artist of the Year, Conducts SF Symphony, 10/5–6

Marco Vratogna Is Sensational as Rigoletto at San Francisco Opera

A conversation with Joshua Bell, featured guest artist at opening of SF Symphony, 9/19

San Francisco Opera Opens 90th Season With Verdi's 'Rigoletto'

Jazz vocalist Nicole Henry makes San Francisco debut

Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford duke it out at The Castro Theatre's 90th Anniversary

San Francisco, starring Jeanette MacDonald, to be featured at the Castro Theatre's 90th Anniversary

The Wizard of Oz Meets the San Francisco Symphony

Diane Kruger Shines as Marie Antoinette in Benoit Jacquot's 'Farewell, My Queen'

The "It" Girl, Clara Bow, A Featured Star at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, July 12–15

'The Scottsboro Boys' – Placing the Minstrel Show on Trial

Jun Kaneko's 'Magic Flute' Is Stunningly Visual

Samuel Ramey is Leo the Great in San Francisco Opera's 'Attila'

'Victor Herbert, Collected Songs' – A Great CD

Tom Judson Is Making It Big In San Francisco

A Chat with Dominique Labelle, featured this week in PBO's 'Alexander's Feast'

A Look at Gennadi Nedvigin, Principal Dancer with San Francisco Ballet

Organist Christopher Houlihan Makes A Powerful Debut at Davies Symphony Hall

Prokofiev's 'Romeo and Juliet' – A Sumptuous Revival at San Francisco Ballet

RICHARD WINSOR – An Interview With the Star of 'Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake in 3D'

An Interview with Grammy Award winning organist Paul Jacobs

'Unfaithfully Yours' – Classic Overtures at Noir City X

EDDIE MULLER – On the Slow Death of 35mm – An Interview with the "Czar of Noir"

DEANNA DURBIN – The Leading Lady of NOIR CITY, Wednesday at The Castro Theatre

THOMAS JANE – An interview with the star of HBO's "Hung" and 3D Thriller "Dark Country"

KRISTIN CLAYTON– A Conversation with "The Diva" of Teatro ZinZanni

DIANE BAKER – Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK

CAMERON CARPENTER – An Interview with Seán Martinfield

AT LAST! – ANN HAMPTON CALLAWAY – An Interview with Seán Martinfield

MARNIE BRECKENRIDGE – An Interview with “La Princesse” of Philip Glass’ Orphée

A Conversation with Elza van den Heever

CUBAN BALLET – An Interview with Octavio Roca

A Look At "Giselle" with Ballerina Lorena Feijóo

ZUILL BAILEY – A Conversation

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics