Acting in Plays, Singing/The Wiz audition song!

Hi Sean, my name is Parker(17 years old). At the end of the year, I'm auditioning for the Lion in The Wiz and was hoping you could help me find a song that fits perfectly for the character and style of the play. I'm a bass/baritone. Hope you had a nice holiday! Thanks so much!

Hi, Parker –

Thank you for the question.

I'm going to assume you've been singing along with Ted Ross from both the Original Broadway Cast recording and the film soundtrack. If so, then you are the best judge if your bass/baritone range can sustain all the demands in the upper register. Technically, the role of the Lion in THE WIZ sits on the high baritone side. The vocal range extends from Low G to High G and some riffing on up to High B-flat. Obviously the style is in the mode of Pop music from the '70s and not that of Rodgers and Hammerstein. For example, his song "Mean Ole Lion" is extremely energetic with lots of belt action happening between High G and the B-natural below it.

Professional audition notices want the singers to demonstrate standard R&B and Gospel. Add Funk and Soul to that list. If you have that leeway, then consider some of the best songs from such artists as Michael Jackson, Lionel Richie, Gnarls Barkley, and Marvin Gaye. Check out the titles below on Youtube. Click on the URLs to find the sheet music on-line. Notice that the keys can be can be transposed to reflect the range of The Lion:

Dancing On The Ceiling

I Heard It Through The Grapevine

Whatever you choose, push the agenda of The Lion and the expected vocal style through your material and presentation.

I am a vocal coach to working singers in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm also an entertainment critic for – and Classical music reviewer for – When you're ready to come to San Francisco for vocal coaching, contact me at:

Check out my recent interview with popular TV host, David Perry, on "Ten Percent":

Below are links to my articles and youtubes on San Francisco's entertainment and cultural scene:

Melody Moore steps into Tosca — Opening Night at San Francisco Opera

Patricia Racette – A Definitive 'Tosca' at San Francisco Opera

One Night Only – 'Star Trek: The Next Generation – The Second Season', 11/29

Film director Luis Valdez on Día de los Muertos (The Day of the Dead)

'Moby-Dick' opens at San Francisco Opera: A Conversation with Composer Jake Heggie

Pianist András Schiff on the 'Bach Project in North America'

Vasily Petrenko, BRIT Male Artist of the Year, Conducts SF Symphony, 10/5–6

Marco Vratogna Is Sensational as Rigoletto at San Francisco Opera

A conversation with Joshua Bell, featured guest artist at opening of SF Symphony, 9/19

San Francisco Opera Opens 90th Season With Verdi's 'Rigoletto'

Jazz vocalist Nicole Henry makes San Francisco debut

Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford duke it out at The Castro Theatre's 90th Anniversary

San Francisco, starring Jeanette MacDonald, to be featured at the Castro Theatre's 90th Anniversary

The Wizard of Oz Meets the San Francisco Symphony

Diane Kruger Shines as Marie Antoinette in Benoit Jacquot's 'Farewell, My Queen'

The "It" Girl, Clara Bow, A Featured Star at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival, July 12–15

'The Scottsboro Boys' – Placing the Minstrel Show on Trial

Jun Kaneko's 'Magic Flute' Is Stunningly Visual

Samuel Ramey is Leo the Great in San Francisco Opera's 'Attila'

'Victor Herbert, Collected Songs' – A Great CD

Tom Judson Is Making It Big In San Francisco

A Chat with Dominique Labelle, featured this week in PBO's 'Alexander's Feast'

A Look at Gennadi Nedvigin, Principal Dancer with San Francisco Ballet

Organist Christopher Houlihan Makes A Powerful Debut at Davies Symphony Hall

Prokofiev's 'Romeo and Juliet' – A Sumptuous Revival at San Francisco Ballet

RICHARD WINSOR – An Interview With the Star of 'Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake in 3D'

An Interview with Grammy Award winning organist Paul Jacobs

'Unfaithfully Yours' – Classic Overtures at Noir City X

EDDIE MULLER – On the Slow Death of 35mm – An Interview with the "Czar of Noir"

DEANNA DURBIN – The Leading Lady of NOIR CITY, Wednesday at The Castro Theatre

THOMAS JANE – An interview with the star of HBO's "Hung" and 3D Thriller "Dark Country"

KRISTIN CLAYTON– A Conversation with "The Diva" of Teatro ZinZanni

DIANE BAKER – Celebrating the 50th Anniversary of THE DIARY OF ANNE FRANK

CAMERON CARPENTER – An Interview with Seán Martinfield

AT LAST! – ANN HAMPTON CALLAWAY – An Interview with Seán Martinfield

MARNIE BRECKENRIDGE – An Interview with “La Princesse” of Philip Glass’ Orphée

A Conversation with Elza van den Heever

CUBAN BALLET – An Interview with Octavio Roca

A Look At "Giselle" with Ballerina Lorena Feijóo

ZUILL BAILEY – A Conversation

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics