Acting in Plays, Singing/broadway

Question
I am really curious as to why isn't Broadway available on dvd?  Recently the Broadway run of Evita Ended but so many people didn't get to see it,, so why not when certain runs End can't they release them on DVD?  movies, concerts, sports are available why can't Broadway do that with now ended shows?  If a show has ended wouldn't they make more money by releasing them on DVD? thanks for your insights!!

Answer
This is a question I'm sure a LOT of people would like answered, and the answer is really quite simple. The biggest problem with putting a Broadway show on DVD is the rights.

When a production company of any kind is going to do a show, they have to pay royalties (not too bad in the case of community theatre, and a major part of the budget on Broadway) and sign a contract with the holder of the performance rights. This contract usually gives the production company the performance rights only for a specific number of shows in a particular market area.

Most especially, the rights contracts usually ONLY allow for live performances, and many shows - especially musicals - have specific prohibitions in the contracts against any kind of "mechanical recording". For them to record it alone would mean paying significantly higher royalties or penalties, which most production companies simply can't afford. This means, sadly, that most live performances are lost to posterity once the show closes. And, just as sadly, most Broadway shows don't have the "draw" to sell enough DVDs to make up the expense in royalties.

(In the case of movies and concerts, the DVD rights are usually part of the production budget, and promoters of sporting events usually have to pay no royalties.)

Your best bet is simply to wait for a given show to be made into a motion picture - as they recently did with "Les Miserables" - and then wait for it to come out on DVD ... and hope that the movie is as good as the stage version.

Sorry for the bad news.

-- Spyder

Acting in Plays, Singing

J. Spyder Isaacson