Acting in Plays, Singing/Warming up

Question
Dear Sir,

I've been singing for nearly twenty years now - starting as a boy chorister and then spending five years having intense bel canto training with a professional tenor with a view to training at a conservatoire and entering the profession myself. In four years he'd transformed my range from seven notes to around two octaves (Bb2-C#5).

When I was preparing for a show I was assigned a different voice teacher and actively discouraged from working with my original teacher and mentor. I suffered some fairly serious vocal problems and a total loss of confidence which led to me taking a two year break from singing.

After that, I spent three years studying vocal physiology and looking at research into a wide variety of techniques and methods of singing. My voice, and more importantly my top range is coming back, but I have a question about warming up the voice.

I have studied so many methods and exercises I find myself confused about how to warm up my voice.

Is the best way of doing to focus on breathing exercises and three,five, eight and nine note scales from the bottom of my voice (Bb2) and the middle ranges of the voice (C4-F4/F#4) before checking on the top notes (g4-C4) with a couple of octave and half and two octave arepeggios on ah and ee (As in vita) or would you recommend another method?

I would usually use the Ah vowel to warm up on keeping it as a pure Ah as a in the italian word vita and then changing it to oh (Italian OH as is Paglaccio) sound at  D4 and then to Uh (as in Function in the British english word. Is this appropriate?

There are other exersises which I have come accross - lip bubbles, buzzing noises, etc, but I don't know how useful they are.

I'd really appreciate your advice - I wonder if I've reached saturation point a bit? I apologise for the long question, but I wanted to give you a bit of background.

Kind regards,

Owen

Answer
Hello, Owen

Thank you for the question. I appreciate the details.

If you were in my studio, I would ask you for more information -- starting with the show you were in. Did you actually get into the Conservatory? Was the show produced at the Conservatory? What was the show and why do you think it caused you such vocal distress?

If you were in a Conservatory such as the one we have here in San Francisco, then you cannot work with a coach outside the Conservatory. If you do, you will be dismissed from the school.

If you weren't in the Conservatory, then how did you wind up with a new coach?

Did your first coach determine your vocal category? As a tenor, did he determine that you were also a tenor? Was the role you sang written for a tenor or a baritone?

These factors and many more are all the variables that go into answering your basic question, i.e., a proper warm-up. The most important issue is your vocal category.

My job as a professional vocal coach is to determine your category and to then train you accordingly. A two octave+ range between Bb and C# certainly covers the stretch of the tenor repertoire. But, given your question and your age and the time you were away from studying and performing, I have to hear you sing these two octaves. It's very possible you are a tenor. It's also very possible you might be a lyric baritone who needs more stuff at the lower end of his register.

Would you be interested in contacting me through Skype? It doesn't cost anything, all you have to do is sign up. That way I can hear how you are doing what you are doing and offer you some tips on how to do it better. If so, send me another question and indicate it as "Private". I will send you my e-mail and we can take it from there.

In the meantime, the vowels you are using and interchanging at certain points are not always the best vowels to use to solve issues about proper placement. In fact, they can exacerbate and make worse all the problems you've got right now. Nevertheless, don't start your warm-up at the very bottom of your register, start at the lower end of your middle register through the lower end of your upper register and gradually work your way out to either end.

Lip trills, buzzing, etc., will do nothing to solve your placement issues.

No matter what kind of breathing exercises you do, their contribution and worth must be measured by singing material which includes extremely long and challenging phrases. Look at the songs of Schubert and Mahler.

My own experience is that such stamina is built through a combination of cardiovascular exercises, i.e., running, swimming, the treadmill, climbing the steep hills of San Francisco, etc., and learning to hold the breath through an increasingly larger number of reps. It also burns fat like crazy.

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield
http://www.examiner.com/classical-music-in-san-francisco/sean-martinfield  

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield