Acting in Plays, Singing/Legally Blonde Audition

Hello, Sean! My name is Eliza, and I'm preparing for an audition for Legally Blonde. It is a junior version, with an age limitation of 13-19 year olds only, so combined with my friendship to the production staff, I'm really trying to land the role of Enid. The only problem is, uh... I have absolutely no clue what to sing. I'm normally a lyric soprano, which really deems my typical repertoire useless. I figured that since I'm auditioning for a belter show, I might as well go for a real challenge in the character, haha. I'm fifteen years old, 5'5"ish, with a belt to not much higher than a B. I'm looking for a very strong female song, which, as I might have mentioned, does not exist in my repertoire. They're asking for a 16-32 bar cut of an upbeat contemporary musical theater song not from the show. So, any ideas? I'm stooped.

Thank you!

Hi, Eliza --

Thank you for the question.

In professional productions of LEGALLY BLONDE, the vocal range of "Enid" extends from G3 to G5. Junior versions of the musical might not have the same demands, allowing for some key adjustments. Ask your director about this.

Consider "Gimme Gimme" from THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE. In the original published version the range extends from Ab3 to D5. Go to the web site below. Notice in the right margin that you can transpose the key. For example, If you have the song transposed to A Major, then the range extends from B3 to F5.

Given the limit of 16 to 32 measures, look at the last three pages, beginning with "I don't care if he's a nobody" or the last two pages, beginning with "Gimme that thing called love. I wannit." The F5 occurs twice on the last page. The final extended note, on the word "love", sits on E5

Gimme, Gimme:

Also consider Freddie Mercury's "Somebody to Love", used in the musical WE WILL ROCK YOU. This is also available at the same web site. Notice the range extends from C3 to F5.

Somebody To Love

Audition notices for the show also allow the singer to choose a Pop song. What are your favorite Pop songs, who are your favorite Pop artists? If this option is available to you, then while you are at this site, search for those artists and titles. If the song can be transposed, then place it in the key that will work best for you.

It's possible your director may have another role in mind for you. Whatever you choose as your audition song, make sure you are familiar with the songs from the show—especially the numbers in which Enid appears.

I am a vocal coach to working singers in the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm also an entertainment critic for – and Classical music reviewer for – Let me know when you're ready to come to San Francisco for some vocal coaching.

Check out my web site:

See my interview with popular TV host, David Perry, on "Ten Percent":

Below are links to my articles and youtubes on the San Francisco Bay Area entertainment and cultural scene:

THE GREAT GATSBY—F. Scott Fitzgerald Classic goes Three Dimensional

Christopher Wheeldon's 'Cinderella'—A Smash Hit for the Season Finale at SF Ballet

'FILLY BROWN' — An Extraordinary Film from Youssef Delara and Michael D. Olmos

TINSEL TARTS IN A HOT COMA—Extended through June 29th at The Hypnodrome

Nonsemble 6 presents Schoenberg's 'Pierrot Lunaire' – in corsets

'Onegin' – A Must-See at San Francisco Ballet, Final Performances 3/26—28

Tenor Noah Stewart Debuts with Berkeley Symphony in World Premiere of New Work by Steven Stucky

Marnie Breckenridege, A Modern Soprano for Contemporary Opera

A Profile of Choreographer John Neumeier and his "Nijinsky"

Peggy Cummins Honored at San Francisco's Noir City Film Festival

In Conversation with Peter Gallagher – Coming to the Venetian Room

Melody Moore steps into Tosca — Opening Night at San Francisco Opera

'Moby-Dick' opens at San Francisco Opera: A Conversation with Composer Jake Heggie

'Drama Queens' – A Conversation with Mezzo-Soprano Joyce DiDonato

Vasily Petrenko, BRIT Male Artist of the Year, Conducts SF Symphony, 10/5–6

Marco Vratogna Is Sensational as Rigoletto at San Francisco Opera

A conversation with Joshua Bell, featured guest artist at opening of SF Symphony, 9/19

Jazz vocalist Nicole Henry makes San Francisco debut

Norma Shearer and Joan Crawford duke it out at The Castro Theatre's 90th Anniversary

The Wizard of Oz Meets the San Francisco Symphony

Samuel Ramey is Leo the Great in San Francisco Opera's 'Attila'

'Victor Herbert, Collected Songs' – A Great CD

Tom Judson Is Making It Big In San Francisco

A Look at Gennadi Nedvigin, Principal Dancer with San Francisco Ballet

Organist Christopher Houlihan Makes A Powerful Debut at Davies Symphony Hall

RICHARD WINSOR – An Interview With the Star of 'Matthew Bourne's Swan Lake in 3D'

DEANNA DURBIN – The Leading Lady of NOIR CITY, Wednesday at The Castro Theatre

KRISTIN CLAYTON– A Conversation with "The Diva" of Teatro ZinZanni

CAMERON CARPENTER – An Interview with Seán Martinfield

A Conversation with Elza van den Heever

CUBAN BALLET – An Interview with Octavio Roca

A Look At "Giselle" with Ballerina Lorena Feijóo

ZUILL BAILEY – A Conversation

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics