Acting in Plays, Singing/What should I do?

Question
Hello,
I need some advice and you seemed very knowledgable on this field. I am a freshman in highschool and have decided to become a professional broadway actress. This is not some stupid and childish dream, I have been thinking for years and have finally come up with my decision to have this as my career. I love theatre with all my heart but I have no idea where to start. What do I do to prepare for a challenge as this? I plan on going to a musical theatre college up in New York for my bachelors or masters degrees. Do you recommend double majoring in something else other than theatre? I have done a couple of little school plays that include South Pacific and the wizard of oz. I was also wondering if you could give me any idea of the chances I have on actually fulfilling my hope and getting to broadway. The more I research the more I here that it woul be insane to even try. So is it even worth it? I hope I have not taken up too much of your time or thought, I am just trying to figure this out now. Thank you for any and all answers you can give me, I look up to an appreciate all that you are and stand for.

Thank you,
Bethany Eribarne

Answer
Actually, from what you have described, you are doing everything exactly right. You should continue your studies through college - and graduate school, if you can - and continue to do shows, no matter at what level, just for the experience.

It *is* true that the odds are, initially, against you from the start - relatively few aspiring professionals actually manage to make it to the Great White Way. However, the ones who do are the ones utterly dedicated to making it work, and willing to give 200% to make it happen. The best way to tell if you are ready to make the commitment is this: for the true actor/professional, to not act/perform is to die. If this is you, follow the dream, and be ready to sacrifice literally everything for it.

That being said: don't dismiss the idea of having to work entry-level and/or blue collar jobs until you make it - there are plenty of aspiring actors earning their livings, initially, as secretaries or restaurant wait staff. And make sure you develop a "thick skin" - you are, most likely, going to get plenty of rejections before "hitting it big." Remember that it's not personal; it's more likely that you just don't match what the director envisions, no matter how talented you are. In that case, in the words of the old swing standard, you have to be able to "pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again."

Break a leg, and let me know how you do!

-- Spyder

Acting in Plays, Singing

J. Spyder Isaacson