Acting in Plays, Singing/Vocal range

Question
Hello, Mr Martinfield I am a musical theatre lover and want to pursue a career in it! I was wondering  how can you truly tell if your a tenor or baritone? Because i have A naturally high voice, But have been classified as a baritone but i have a very huge range And my regular voice is naturally high like i said. Please If you could help me out with this please id be very greatful!

Answer
Hi, Elijah --

Thank you for the question.

Just as with some medical issues -- my best advice is for you to get a second opinion from a professional educator.

I trained for ten years in Bel Canto as a lyric baritone. I learned and performed an impressive amount of the literature written for lyric baritones, including operatic roles and a wide range of concert material. But when I had a private coaching session with someone from one of the major operatic training programs I wanted to get into, everything changed. I walked in as a baritone and left as a tenor.

That coach changed my entire life. He proved to me in that one hour that -- although I have a wide range that includes an extension into baritone territory -- my authentic and, hence, “marketable” range as a professional opera singer would be as a tenor. Not only that, but a certain kind of tenor who would sing certain roles in a variety of works from various eras of music. More importantly -- once I was re-trained -- I could compete more successfully against other singers with vocal qualities similar to mine, especially for those major cash prizes, training programs, performance opportunities, etc.

I’ve been through what you are going through.
What made the difference in my future was the right coach -- a gentleman who had himself sustained a professional career as a Classical tenor -- who took me up to my first fully-voiced High B-flat. What really proved it to me, was that I was able to recreate that High B-flat the following day on my own. Though I was shocked, I kissed my baritone range good-bye.

No matter what genre of music you dream about singing or how clever you may be artistically, you only have one voice. That voice must be trained according to its natural qualities and tested through specific repertoire written for it -- along with the realities of performance situations and venues in mind.

Check out my most recent interviews on HuffingtonPost.com. The following are with two young singers -- a countertenor and a bass-baritone -- both currently appearing at San Francisco Opera in a magnificent production of Handel’s “Partenope”:

Countertenor Anthony Roth Costanzo – A Stunning Debut in ‘Partenope’ at San Francisco Opera
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sean-martinfield/countertenor-anthony-roth_b_60444

A Conversation with Bass-Baritone Philippe Sly
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sean-martinfield/a-conversation-with-bassb_b_59947

I see that you are in Indiana. Go to this site:
http://www.careersinmusic.com/music-schools-indiana.aspx

Find out as much information as you can about the schools and who the voice teachers are. It’s not unusual for resident professors to consult with non-students and to give private lessons. You might also want to consider contacting the Music Director of a major vocal ensemble or choir in your immediate area. State your concern and ask for an appointment. It may turn out to be the wisest investment of your time and money that you will ever make. It was for me.

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield
Broadwaybelters@yahoo.com  

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield