Acting in Plays, Singing/Audition song La Cage Aux Folles

I'm auditioning for the role of Jean-Michel in an upcoming production of La Cage.  Was wondering if you could give me advice on a good song and approach for the audition.  It fits right in my range and my age.  Please let me know what you think!

Hi, Dave --

Thank you for the question.

The role of Jean-Michel in La Cage aux Folles can be sung by a high baritone or a tenor with a warm lower register. The song “With Anne On My Arm” is the kind of song a young Fred Astaire might sing. It’s a very danceable and charming tune sung by a dewy-eyed guy in love. His upper register is just high enough to be bright and fresh and in direct contrast to the vocals of Georges and Albin.

Whatever you choose to sing, keep the tempo moving, don’t drag.

The composer, Jerry Herman, would certainly have known and been influenced by the songs below. Anyone singing the role of Jean-Michel would be a perfect fit for these songs. Notice that the web site allows you to transpose the key. Consider the suggestions, sing them through first.

I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm (Irving Berlin) – Consider transposing to D Major:

A Pretty Girl Is Like a Melody (Irving Berlin) – Transpose to F Major:

Isn’t This A Lovely Day? (Irving Berlin) – Transpose to F Major:

I Found A Million Dollar Baby (In A Five and Ten Cent Store) (Harry Warren)

Easy To Love (Cole Porter) – Transpose to A Major

I am a vocal coach to working singers in the San Francisco Bay Area.

I'm also a music critic for – When you want to make an appointment, contact me at: We can also do a lesson on Skype.

Below are links to my recent articles and interviews:

Program 3 at San Francisco Ballet – Heartaches by the number

A Conversation with Organist Paul Jacobs - This Week at Davies Hall

Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg Introduces ‘Rita’ by Donizetti

GISELLE – Now at San Francisco Ballet through Sunday, February 2nd

Zuill Bailey Triumphs in New Recording of Benjamin Britten’s Cello Symphony and Sonata

Launching the Dicterow-DeMaine-Biegel Piano Trio: Old School Genius in the 21st Century

SY SMITH – Just the Thought of You

JEANETTE MacDONALD and The Great American Songbook, Pt. 1 — Close encounters with “Dinah” and “Some of These Days”

Mezzo-Soprano Sasha Cooke: Unmasked at SF Symphony's Masquerade Ball

New on CD: ‘As Long As There Are Songs’, by Stephanie Blythe

A Conversation with Ben Jaffe of Preservation Hall Jazz Band

A Conversation with Lucas Meachem - San Francisco Opera’s Barber of Seville

Composer Jake Runestad’s ‘Dreams of the Fallen’ - A Veteran’s Day Happening at the National WWII Museum

Joshua Gersen conducts the San Francisco Symphony in screenings of Hitchcock Classics, 10/30--11/2

Organist Todd Wilson plays ‘The Lodger’ (1927) at Davies Symphony Hall, Halloween Night

GREG FEDDERLY – A Comprimario Tenor Extraordinaire

Olivier Latry – Organist at Notre Dame de Paris, at Davies Hall, 10/12

A Conversation with Soprano Alexandra Silber – This week at Feinstein’s, 10/11-12

SF Jazz Center Goes Baroque - A Conversation with Countertenor David Daniels

Tobias Picker’s Dolores Claiborne—A Daring World Premiere at San Francisco Opera

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics