Acting in Plays, Singing/Bakers Wife Audition Song

I have noted your post from 2012 regarding this but I wanted to ask once more. I am an alto (but I can sing falsetto soprano pretty well) and my voice is pretty fragile (I cannot belt too loudly). For my Into the Woods Audition soon, I wanted to try for the Witch or Bakers Wife. But the witch seems too large with too many vocal belts and loud notes! I will lose my voice too quickly. I wanted to try for the B.W. Can you name any other Sondheim Musicals that have some bakers wife-like songs in them?

What is the highest note I have to be able to hit? Do the songs you will mention include that note?

I appreciate your time and attention.

Hi, Lea --

Thank you for the question.

The range of the Baker’s Wife extends from G3 to E5. Most of the range in her songs sits between those two points.

Here are links to three Sondheim songs you may want to consider. Notice that the site allows you to transpose the key. The links I have included are in the key which may work best for you:

Could I Leave You? – FOLLIES

Another Hundred People – COMPANY

Before the audition, learn the material sung by the Baker’s Wife. By doing that, you will know how to present the song you choose to sing.

I am a vocal coach to working singers in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you want to make an appointment, contact me at: We can also do a lesson on Skype.

I am also published on: -- -- --

Below are links to my recent articles and interviews:

A Conversation with Mario Frangoulis – International Tenor Debuts in San Francisco, April 4th

JEANETTE MacDONALD and The Great American Songbook, Pt. 1 — Close encounters with “Dinah” and “Some of These Days”

NOIR CITY 12 – ‘It’s A Bitter Little World’ – Talking with Producer Eddie Muller

A Conversation with Maestro James Conlon

Ricardo Bustamante – Profile of A Ballet Master at San Francisco Ballet

In Conversation with Stewart Copeland – Famed Drummer Composes New Soundtrack for ‘Ben-Hur’ (1925)

A Fabulous Debut at Davies Symphony Hall for Natalie Dessay

Save The Castro Wurlitzer! – A Conversation with Organist David Hegarty

A Conversation with Pianist Roman Rabinovich

Program 3 at San Francisco Ballet – Heartaches by the number

A Conversation with Organist Paul Jacobs - This Week at Davies Hall

Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg Introduces ‘Rita’ by Donizetti

GISELLE – Now at San Francisco Ballet through Sunday, February 2nd

Zuill Bailey Triumphs in New Recording of Benjamin Britten’s Cello Symphony and Sonata

Launching the Dicterow-DeMaine-Biegel Piano Trio: Old School Genius in the 21st Century

SY SMITH – Just the Thought of You

Mezzo-Soprano Sasha Cooke: Unmasked at SF Symphony's Masquerade Ball

New on CD: ‘As Long As There Are Songs’, by Stephanie Blythe

A Conversation with Ben Jaffe of Preservation Hall Jazz Band

A Conversation with Lucas Meachem - San Francisco Opera’s Barber of Seville

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics