Acting in Plays, Singing/Vocal warm ups

Question
Hi Sean,

I'm a tenor from the UK who has sought your advice before and would like your opinion on something that has been perplexing me for a little while now.

I recently spoke with a vocal coach over here in the UK who told me that a warm up shouldn't last more than 12 minutes, and told me that any longer was increasing the risk of vocal fatigue.
My first teacher always told me that a warm up should last at least 20 minutes - and that it should focus on the opening up the middle register before checking the top notes.  

A number of years ago, I started doing half hour warm ups, focusing on the vowels "ah" (Bart) "Oh" (No) and "ee", spending the majority of this smoothing out the passagio, not going higher than a G for the first 25 minutes before building up to hitting an easy High C# in my final couple of exercises. I've found this helps me sing consistently and without strain or fatigue in rehearsals and performances.

What's your take on the suggestion that a warm up shouldn't last more than 12 minutes?

Best wishes,

Stuart

Answer
Hi, Stuart --

Thank you for another question.

After you’ve accumulated about ten years worth of being a regularly employed professional singer, there may be days here and there where a 12 minute warm-up -- depending on what you do, how and where you do it -- might be sufficient. But not for long.

The same is true for the 20 minute warm-up.

The controlling question is:  what are you warming-up for?
A competition?
A Sunday solo?
A three-act opera?

“Vocal fatigue” -- ? From a slightly more than 12-minute warm-up?

Vocal fatigue comes from doing "warm-ups" that aren’t helping you.

No matter how many minutes you spend exercising your voice -- the ultimate goal is that it enables you to then rehearse your repertoire at performance level. My job as a vocal coach is to show you how to do that.

See my recent interview with heldentenor Stuart Skelton. He's coming to San Francisco next week to sing "Peter Grimes", a mammoth role and opera by Benjamin Britten:

Tenor Stuart Skelton on Peter Grimes
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sean-martinfield/tenor-stuart-skelton-on-p_b_55087

Stay in touch.

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield