Acting in Plays, Singing/'Into the Woods' Audition song

Hello! I'm Evan.

My community theater is having auditions for Into the Woods on Sunday and I am scrambling for a song. I would love to be Cinderella but if not I would also like to be Little Red. I'm 16- my birthday is actually going to be during the rehearsal period- and i would consider myself a mezzo-soprano. I can go low, but i am stronger with a higher range. I would say I top out at a high A, because I had to sing that this past December in A Christmas Carol. Do you have any suggestions? I was considering using My Favorite Things from the Sound of Music but i feel like it may be a little overdone. I have 16-32 bars.

Hi, Evan --

Thank you for the question.

Cinderella’s range in Into The Woods extends to High G. Consider the song “Feelings” from THE APPLE TREE.

Click here to order on-line:

When you arrive to the site, notice that the song is published in C Major and has a range that extends from B3 to E5. This key would work for Little Red.

But if you decide to go for Cinderella, then scroll down till you see the transposition options. If you put it up into the key of D Major, then the range extends from C#4 to F#.

Listen to or watch the DVD of the Original Broadway Cast recording of Into The Woods, not the recent film.

If you need a Sondheim song, consider “I Remember” from EVENING PRIMROSE for Little Red:

And for Cinderella -- "Green Finch and Linnet Bird" from Sweeney Todd:

Go prepared to sing "I know things now" and "On the steps of the palace".

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics