Acting in Plays, Singing/Audition Song -- Ulla/The Producers

Hi Sean,

I'm planning to audition for the role of Ulla in a local production of The Producers. I was wondering if you could help me with audition songs. I'm particularly interested in audition songs that the casting director hasn't heard a hundred times by the time I audition.

Thanks, Jen

Hi, Jen --

Thank you for the question.

The role of “Ulla” in THE PRODUCERS is pretty self evident, right? All you have to do is keep her choreography and vocal range in mind and consider any of the following:

Girls Just Want To Have Fun (3rd verse and chorus):

I Wanna Be Loved By You (skip the introduction):

Bye Bye Baby (skip the introduction)

I am a vocal coach to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you want to make an appointment, contact me at:

I am also published on: -- -- --

Below are links to my recent articles, interviews, and YouTubes:

On Jeanette MacDonald: Why should we care?

A Conversation with Pianist Hélène Grimaud – At Davies Symphony Hall, 2/15–16

Composer Michael Kaulkin – Introducing New Works with 'Lieder Alive!’

A Conversation with Soprano Lydia Teuscher – Now at Davies Hall, 1/30–1/31

Organist Paul Jacobs – On Messiaen’s ‘Livre du Saint-Sacrement’

A Profile of Choreographer Val Caniparoli – 20th Anniversaries for ‘Lambarena’ and ‘Lady of the Camellias’

Pianist Orli Shaham on ‘Grand Pianola Music’ by John Adams

Eddie Muller on Noir City 13 and the Rescue of ‘Woman on the Run’

In Conversation with Debby Boone

“Please don’t talk about me when I’m gone”

Tenor Michael Fabiano – On ‘La Bohème’, Now at San Francisco Opera

Joanne Polk – On ‘The Flatterer, Piano Music of Cécile Chaminade’

Filmmaker Judy Irving – On ‘Pelican Dreams’

Countertenor Anthony Roth Costanzo – A Stunning Debut in ‘Partenope’ at San Francisco Opera

A Conversation with Bass-Baritone Philippe Sly

Steve Wilson on 'The Making of Gone with the Wind'

Tenor Stuart Skelton on Peter Grimes

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics