Acting in Plays, Singing/Want to be on Broadway

Dear Expert,
I am wondering what the best way is to get ready to be on broadway. I know that it is an EXTREMELY rare chance, but it's always been my dream. I am in a director's choice drama group and I try to get as much experience as possible, but I know that there's so much more! I am only thirteen, but I would like to start getting ready now. Can you help me?

Thank you,

Hi, Eugenia --

Thank you for the question.

Being able to sustain a career in the performing arts -- whether or not it leads to a show playing on Broadway -- is always about a series of opportunities. Read the biographies of performers who have won or who have been nominated for a Tony or Academy Award –  starting with the first year those awards originated. Everyone has a different set of circumstances that led them to the role that brought them to the podium.

Getting ready now means looking at which high school you will be attending. Does it have a theatre arts and film department? Does it offer courses in music and dance? Find one that does. Assuming you do, then your job is about earning better than a 4.0 grade average and applying for scholarships to the best conservatories or universities that offer complete programs in all these disciplines.

Between now and then, start learning “the business” of the performing arts. You need to know more than any agent at any Agency that you might one day want to represent you.  Without that knowledge, you will be lost.

You won’t always be living in Idaho. But you can acquire the same knowledge and sets of skills as anyone living in downtown Manhattan if you devote your time to research and study and finding every opportunity there is in your present circumstances.

Study Music Theory and take a semester or year of Piano 101. You must be able to read music and to play at least your own part. Read at least one play every week. That’s what libraries are for. Find a video on beginning ballet exercises and get yourself into centerfold condition. “Getting ready now” means getting into a lifestyle of healthy habits, physical fitness, and constant intellectual and artistic pursuits.

Bottom line, you will be hired to play You because You fit the role and have proven your skills and common sense to the Producer who must make a profit.

I am a vocal coach to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you can come to San Francisco for a coaching session, contact me at:

I am also published on: -- -- --

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics