Acting in Plays, Singing/Witch AND Baker's Wife audition song

I'm auditioning for Into the Woods and need 1 song that can fit both the Baker's Wife and the Witch, either vocally or character-wise. I'm 17, mezzo (C3 to C6) and auditioning for a youth theatre in a few months. I'm practicing sides and songs from both characters to get each ones vocal and character strengths, but can't think of a song that is good for both. Maybe Another Hundred People from Company? Meh. I don't know which one I'm better at, I like more, or I will face the most competition for, so I want to go in strong for both. Thanks!

Hi, Lea --

Both roles are for a mezzo. The range of the Baker’s Wife extends from G3 to F5. The range of the Witch extends lower to F3 and goes to F5. The essential difference between the two roles is that the Witch – in addition to having a strong belt – is all over the map with her vocal characterizations, whereas the songs of the Baker’s Wife are very consistent.

I’m assuming you understand the personality requirements that go with each of these roles. In other words, who is your competition? If you can only check one box, which of these two roles sounds most like you?

Consider “By the Sea” from SWEENEY TODD. The range extends from A3 to E5. Go to this site to order on-line:

Know the entire song. Go prepared to do various excerpts between 16 and 32 measures long. Don’t hesitate, have them ready. Your primary job at this audition is to prove that you have the musicianship skills to sing Sondheim. Make sure you know all the songs by both characters. If I’m on your audition panel and am really interested in moving you onto the callbacks but for only one of the roles, I may ask you to sing a bit from either character – a cappella.

I am a vocal coach to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you want to make an appointment, contact me at:

I am also published on: -- -- --

Below are links to my recent articles, interviews, and YouTubes:
Meeting Jeanette MacDonald in “San Francisco”

A Conversation with Pianist Hélène Grimaud – At Davies Symphony Hall, 2/15–16

Composer Michael Kaulkin – Introducing New Works with 'Lieder Alive!’

A Conversation with Soprano Lydia Teuscher – Now at Davies Hall, 1/30–1/31

Organist Paul Jacobs – On Messiaen’s ‘Livre du Saint-Sacrement’

A Profile of Choreographer Val Caniparoli – 20th Anniversaries for ‘Lambarena’ and ‘Lady of the Camellias’

Pianist Orli Shaham on ‘Grand Pianola Music’ by John Adams

Eddie Muller on Noir City 13 and the Rescue of ‘Woman on the Run’

In Conversation with Debby Boone

“Please don’t talk about me when I’m gone”

Tenor Michael Fabiano – On ‘La Bohème’, Now at San Francisco Opera

Joanne Polk – On ‘The Flatterer, Piano Music of Cécile Chaminade’

On Jeanette MacDonald: Why should we care?

Filmmaker Judy Irving – On ‘Pelican Dreams’

Countertenor Anthony Roth Costanzo – A Stunning Debut in ‘Partenope’ at San Francisco Opera

A Conversation with Bass-Baritone Philippe Sly

Steve Wilson on 'The Making of Gone with the Wind'

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics