Acting in Plays, Singing/whistle register

How can I sing in the whistle register? The highest note that I can sing in e6 but I am not able to reach any higher after that. Can you please suggest few exercises to find my whistle register. Thank you

Hello, Greeshma –

Thank you for the question.

Listen to the first track on this YouTube:

The voice is that of Peruvian singer, Yma Sumac, the highest note on this track is F6. The recording was first released in 1950 on 78rpm. I have heard her in a number of live concerts. The voice is legitimate.

Compare Yma Sumac’s F6 to the F#6 of French coloratura soprano Natalie Dessay in her recording of the art song, “Les filles de Cadix”.

After you have warmed up your voice and can securely produce your E6, then practice along with these two recordings. Using a headset, learn to mimic Yma Sumac’s vowels as she ascends to her high note. Get the sheet music to “Les filles de Cadix” – learn the French lyrics and learn the absolute correct placement of the French vowels. Thinking of these two numbers as “exercises” – if your voice has the capacity – you will eventually pull your secure E6 up to F and F#6. If not, then forget about it. Concentrate on that normal part of your voice that people will pay money to hear.

The so-called “whistle register” is a gimmick. If your voice is capable of getting to a tone that registers as G6 or higher, a vocal coach such as myself can help you get there.

My first piece of advice is that it’s a complete waste of time. Trying to acquire it on your own – even with the examples I have suggested – may damage your legitimate range, i.e., soprano.

I have not heard you sing. As a professional vocal coach, I am more concerned about how you produce your C6 – and during which songs or arias. Getting past that note – for some singers – is not impossible nor is it all that unusual. But, I have to hear you to determine what is preventing you from sliding up to F6 from E6. Every soprano who is being paid to sing the Queen of the Night’s aria ("Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen") from Mozart’s Magic Flute can hit F6s before breakfast.

I am a vocal coach to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you want to make an appointment, contact me at:

I am also published on: -- --

Most sincerely,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics