Acting in Plays, Singing/Elle, Legally Blonde

Question
Hello Mr Martinfield,

This year my school will be doing Legally Blonde the musical as our major production and I have my heart set on scoring the main role of Elle Woods. There are quite a few rounds of the auditions and I know for certain that I will have to sing most of the songs from the musical if i get through.

I am an alto but my range is a bottom E to about a G5 so it is quite wide but my middle range is reasonably weak and I am not quite getting out some of the belted notes in 'So Much Better'. Do you have any tips on how to nail this song and the voice of Elle? Or just tips on belting in general?

I do quite a lot of musical theatre training but also jazz/contemporary so do you think that I would be more suited to another role?

Thank you!

Answer
Hi, Sophia –

Thank you for the question.

The original key of “So Much Better” is Gb. The overall range extends from Gb3 to Eb5.  In the last part of the song, the belted area extends mostly between Gb4 and Eb5. The role of Elle is written for a mezzo-soprano with a strong belt in exactly this 6-note range.

Laura Bell Bundy sings the song one half-step up in G-Major. She and others who appeared on Broadway in the role share at least two other Broadway roles in common:  Glinda (Wicked) and Amber Von Tussle (Hairspray). Look at the material from these shows.

The range of a standard mezzo-soprano is A3 to A5. Some sing both higher and lower. That fact alone influences how the singer handles roles that require a lot of belting (or forte) in the B4 – E5/F5 range. Strengthening the belt happens through working a variety of scales – every day. Perhaps you are not practicing enough. Between now and the day of your audition, spend no less than a half-hour each day working short and long scales throughout your entire range. Identify the belted notes and measures in “So Much Better”. Isolate the specific vowel sounds on the longest notes and the belted notes. Do three-tone scales around those notes and on those vowels. In other words, get those notes – those points of arrival – warmed up before you start practicing the song.

At your audition, you must convince your producer and musical director that these money notes in “So Much Better” are going to be available throughout six weeks of rehearsal and for every performance during the run of the show.

Consider “Gimme, Gimme” (Thoroughly Modern Millie)
http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0076600_U1

and “You’ve Got Possibilities” (It’s a bird – It’s a plane – It’s Superman).
http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0025998

I am a vocal coach to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you want to make an appointment, contact me at:  BroadwayBelters@yahoo.com.

I am also published on:
HuffingtonPost.com -- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sean-martinfield
FabulousFilmSongs.com -- http://www.fabulousfilmsongs.com/category/by-sean/

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield