Acting in Plays, Singing/Ensemble

Question
Hello:

When a theatre audition for the cast has an ensemble as well, what does the ensemble require from the individuals who are in it?  For example, the play "Miracle on 34th Street" has the following:
ENSEMBLE:
SHOPPERS; CHILDREN; CITIZENS; GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS; TOWNSPEOPLE

Do the cast who are in the ensemble just sing and/or dance, or do some or all have lines as well?

I thank you for your reply.

Answer
Hi, Kenneth –

Thank you for the question. I appreciate what you’re asking.

The very best thing I can advise you to do is to watch a video of a musical that has a busy ensemble throughout the entire show. Some good examples are: Guys and Dolls, The Music Man, Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Mary Poppins, South Pacific. Check your Main Library for titles, ask about interlibrary loans. Search YouTube for excerpts.

Not every composer uses the Ensemble or Chorus the same way. The more you watch and listen – to every Broadway show since “Rose-Marie” – the more prepared you will be in determining what you will sing for the audition. An understood rule – though there are always exceptions – is to not sing a song from the show you are auditioning for.

For example, a professional audition notice for MIRACLE ON 34th STREET specifically states they want to hear a “traditional” Broadway song and suggest composers such as Frederic Loewe and Oscar Hammerstein. Research what shows those two composers wrote, pick the song you want, bring the sheet music printed in the key that works best for you or is the key required for that character. Like, Freddie in MY FAIR LADY. Freddie is a tenor. His song, “On the street where you live” goes up to High G.

Let’s say you are a tenor and want to be in the Chorus of MIRACLE ON 34th STREET or maybe HELLO, DOLLY. Then you must prove to the musical director that you are a tenor through the song you sing. The original key of “On the street where you live” is D Major. With it’s High G at the end on “I” of “I won’t care if I...” – it can be challenging. But if you transpose it down a whole step into C Major, the high note becomes F – and every tenor must have a solid High F.

See the example on this web site. Notice how the song can be transposed:
http://www.musicnotes.com/sheetmusic/mtd.asp?ppn=MN0052203_U4

Chorus members generally don’t have dialogue. But if what you want to pursue is musical theatre – it’s time to start looking at monologues that work for you and having them ready to go upon request.

I am a vocal coach to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you want to make an appointment, contact me at:  BroadwayBelters@yahoo.com.

I am also published on:
HuffingtonPost.com -- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/sean-martinfield
FabulousFilmSongs.com -- http://www.fabulousfilmsongs.com/category/by-sean/

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield