Acting in Plays, Singing/Jazz Songs for Sopranos

I am looking for a traditional/jazz song for my audition at my school's fall musical, Anything Goes. I am soprano and hoping for the role of bonnie/erma latour. I have a found a few songs that i like but I am not sure are right because they are both for deeper voices, Summertime and LA Vie en Rose. If you could help me out witha few ideas that would be great! Thank You!

ANSWER: Hi, Natalie –

Thank you for the question.

Bonnie Latour in Cole Porter’s ANYTHING GOES is not a soprano. Professional audition notices describe her voice classification as a mezzo/belter. The soprano role you want to consider is Hope Harcourt. Although her range is not very high – A3 to Eb5 – her sound must convey freshness and innocence. Hope’s numbers include It’s De-Lovely; Heaven Hop; Goodbye, Little Dream, Goodbye; and All Through the Night.

Make sure you listen to the score before you audition. The songs you mention – Summertime and La Vie en Rose – do not reflect the style of Cole Porter or ANYTHING GOES. Generally speaking, it’s always a good idea to sing a song by the same composer but from another show. The alternative is to select material by another composer writing in a similar vein. Cole Porter has a ton of material to choose from. It’s also true that many of his songs have been appropriated into his other shows – ANYTHING GOES being one of them and not every production of that show has the same song list. Your musical director may be more flexible. Nevertheless, see if the audition notice stipulates “Do not sing songs from the show.” If so, consider any of the following by Cole Porter. Skip the introductions, sing from the refrain. Notice that the site allows you to transpose the key:

You’d be so nice to come home to

Let’s not talk about love

I love Paris

Also consider these songs by other composers. Again, start from the refrain:

On the sunny side of the street (from SUGAR BABIES, by Jimmy McHugh)

We’re in the money (from 42nd STREET, by Harry Warren)

Nice Work If You Can Get It (from CRAZY FOR YOU, by George Gershwin)

I am a vocal coach to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. When you want to make an appointment, contact me at:

I am also published on: -- --

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield

QUESTION: Hi! Thank you for you help and for getting back to me with the very detailed answer, it helped a lot. However, I did find a few other songs that I liked such as The nearness of you, goodmorning heartache and moon river? Le
t me know about whether or not those may work. thanks

Hi, Natalie ––

Thank you for an interesting follow-through question.

I stand by my original advice.

Again, your new list of songs has nothing to do with the sound and rhythm of Cole Porter nor the very well-known style of a 1930s musical.

Your job at this audition is to prove to the musical director that you can sell the music of Cole Porter and that you understand the energy and high-toned spirit of "Anything Goes".

Best regards,
Sean Martinfield  

Acting in Plays, Singing

Sean Martinfield

I am a professional vocal coach in San Francisco. I have published over 3300 responses related to vocal training - particularly as it relates to Musical Theatre, Pop/Standard, and Opera. I have 30 years of experience as a personal trainer to working singers and actors in the San Francisco Bay Area. I sang professionally for 20 years and know what it means to live the life of a musician. I can determine your voice category, i.e., Tenor, Baritone, Bass, Soprano, Mezzo-Soprano, Alto, Alto Belter, etc., and how to broaden and strengthen your range. Need an audition song for a Broadway Musical? I can assist you with your song selections and help you build an audition portfolio that demonstrates your vocal category and meets the requirements specified in the audition notice. I have created a vocal methodology, "The Belter`s Method". It will enable those in Cabaret and Musical Theatre to practice more efficiently because it focuses on the vocal demands of professional performers and will keep you performance-ready. If what you want is a better voice and more control over your career moves and choices, contact me at: I am also a music and cultural critic for and I interview internationally recognized musicians, singers, dancers, and recording artists -- particularly those who are now appearing or scheduled to perform in San Francisco.

As a vocal coach, I work primarily with singers and actors throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. My students range from absolute beginners to working professionals, from kids to senior citizens. The vast majority of my clients come to me through recommendation. I know how to identify any singer's vocal category, i.e., soprano, tenor, alto, baritone, etc. I know how to muscle-up every singer's vocal range and to expand it beyond conventional definitions. I have developed a vocal methodology for those who want to know how to belt, THE BELTER'S METHOD. There are a number of major components to my work as a vocal coach. The first is to identify the client's vocal category and to strengthen and maximize the vocal range accordingly. Then it's about teaching a reliable vocal workout that will enable the client to gain better control of their musicianship. That includes scale work to expand the vocal range and to improve placement, breath control, and diction. Then we work on material for the audition portfolio, the immediate job or assignment, a recording session, etc. My task to is to better equip singers and actors who are hoping to or relying upon their performance skills and vocal endurance to maintain a career in the Performing Arts. My clients regularly appear in cabarets and musical productions throughout the San Francisco Bay Area. Some have worked in New York and gone on National Tours. For more information, Contact me at:

San Francisco State University – BA in Theatre Arts; graduate work in Theatre, Philosophy, and Comparative Reiligion. Pacific School of Religion, Berkeley – Graduate work in Ethics