Actors` Exchange/Audition Tapes

Can you explain what an audition tape is and how to make one or have one made?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: Kenneth,

An audition tape is exactly what it sounds like. It is when you cannot be there in person such as the audition is in California and you are in New York. What you do is put your audition on tape using a video camera. This is either done at home if you do not have representation or perhaps an agents office or managers office if you do. The casting director or producer will ask you to do something specific on video either read copy or act a certain way and then they will look at it in their offices.

I hope this helps.

I want to thank you for your reply.

Suppose someone wants to make one to submit for various casting calls. Can a general audition tape me made? If so, would a monologue from a play be appropriate?

I thank you for your reply.

I would not recommend making an audition tape unless a CD or producer specifically asked for one. But if you did want to make one, it should be project specific. Meaning if it's an audition for a film and it's a comedy, you would want to put on an audition tape dialogue or monologue from a film that's a comedy. I think you get the idea.

To sum everything up-I would not recommend making an audition tape unless it's specifically requested. If you do it should not be a general audition tape.

I hope this helps. And how about nominating me for expert of the month?

Break a leg!

Actors` Exchange

David Neustein

I am able to answer all questions relating to acting. This includes, but is not limited too, training, representation, auditions, head shots and booking work.

I have over two decades of experience in the entertainment industry as a professional actor, director, producer, teacher, casting director, talent agent and talent manager.

BS in Communications from Kean University