I have a question on allergies.  I live in California where pollen count is high at times and I have the typical reactions such has stuffy plugged sinuses, itchy eyes and nose, sneezing, sometimes itchy skin and was wondering if you can advise any pressure points or other methods that might be useful for allergies.  Thank you in advance for your help!

LR 3
LR 3  

LU 7
LU 7  
Hi Tom,

Sorry to hear you suffer from hay fever. The answer to your question could fill a book - but simply there are two ways of tackling the problem a) build up the constitution (preventative) and b) addressing the symptoms.

In traditional Chinese medicine, all allergies, regardless of where the symptoms are, are 'ruled' by the liver energy and are often caused by having weak Liver chi ( I am not saying there is anything wrong with your liver!). So each day you need to gently massage the Source point of the liver - a point called LR 3 (old terminology is LIV 3). The point is situated on the top of the foot between the big toe and 2nd toe in the web. Massage the point for about one minute twice a day. You will need to do this for a few weeks to build up the liver chi.

To address your symptoms you can choose many points but the best two are LU 7 and LI 4. LU 7 (LUNG 7) is situated on the anterior forearm on the thumb side about two fingers up from the wrist crease. LI 4 (LARGE INTESTINE 4) is positioned in the web between the thumb and forefinger. You just need hold these points (they are on both arms so 4 points altogether) with slight movement, one at a time for a couple of minutes with the middle finger pad of the opposite hand - until the symptoms start to ease. Hope the diagrams help. This system only allows me to send two! - best wishes - John

John R. Cross

Acupressure, reflexology, acupuncture and bodywork questions from practitioners and clients

Physical therapist and acupuncturist for over 30 years. Acupressure workshop provider an lecturer, author of 5 books on the subject.

'Acupressure in the Treatment of Musculo-Skeletal Conditions'; 'Acupressure and Reflextherapy in Medical Conditions'; 'Healing with the Chakra Energy System'; 'Acupuncture and the Chakra Energy System'; 'Reflected Energy Pathways'

Fellow of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy; Doctor of Acupuncture