Dear John Cross, I have Achalasia for over 50 years. The Esophagus is very dilated and extends below the LES. Food travels through the Esophagus very slowly and there is food in the Esophagus always, because the Les doesn't open properly. I take Peppermint and Chamomile tea, DGL, and Marshmallow Root to keep inflammation in the Esophagus down. I know some people have had excellent results with Acupuncture, but I don't think there is anyone within a 50 mile radius of me that would be qualified to perform it. I have some books ordered on Acupressure and Reflexology but have not received all of them yet. If I worked diligently using Acupressure or Reflexology on the right points will this be as good as Acupuncture? Would you be so kind as to recommend the right points? I down to about my last hope as I do not want to have my Esophagus and LES operated on and have to be on prescription acid reducers the rest of my life if even I survived the operation. I will surly appreciate any and all the help you can give me. I believe where there is a will, there is a way. Finding the right way is all I need, I have the will. Best Regards, Harold.

Dear Harold, So sorry to hear that you have been suffering from achalasia for so long - this must be miserable for you. Yes you are correct that in many circumstances that acupressure can be as effective as acupuncture as you are the one in control. However, before I can give you any specific advice, would you be so kind as to let me know if you have had any spinal or head injuries at any time in your life, at what age did this condition start and have you had any other major illnesses. When you reply with this information (do it in strict confidence by ticking the 'Private' box) I will be able to give you some advice. Best wishes, John

John R. Cross

Acupressure, reflexology, acupuncture and bodywork questions from practitioners and clients

Physical therapist and acupuncturist for over 30 years. Acupressure workshop provider an lecturer, author of 5 books on the subject.

'Acupressure in the Treatment of Musculo-Skeletal Conditions'; 'Acupressure and Reflextherapy in Medical Conditions'; 'Healing with the Chakra Energy System'; 'Acupuncture and the Chakra Energy System'; 'Reflected Energy Pathways'

Fellow of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy; Doctor of Acupuncture