Acupuncture/Cervical herniation

Question
I had two cervical herniations C-3/4 that was fixed with a Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion and a 2nd herniation at C-5/6 that was not as bad and according to my surgeon has had some improvement since.  Surgery was August 29th 2012.  I was walking with a cane and was not able to even button my trousers.  No more cane and hands though still to stiff and numb for my liking are better.

Im better over all but my continued symptoms are according to my DR.  likely do to spinal swelling or edema. He indicated it may just stay that way, or take much longer to improve.

My question:
Have you had any success in treating this kind of swelling with acupuncture?

Answer
Dear Clayton -

I am happy that you found some positive progress and recovery.  Often, two herniations such as this do not have the best outcome.

Your situation is much like that seen in many of my patients.  I agree with your surgeon that this may be due to swelling or edema, and this often takes a while to resolve.  

Sometimes, edema (if present) is made worse by localized muscle tightness that interferes with circulation; this can often be helped with acupuncture.  What is happening in your case can only be determined with you present, so I cannot be much more specific than that.  Associated signs and symptoms such as headache, limitation in range of motion, grip strength, and hypertonic musculature would need to be evaluated.  I treat a fair number of people who are recovering from cervical surgery and/or injuries and have relatively good success.  You should be able to find an acupuncturist in California who is familiar with the orthopedic protocols used in treating neck conditions.

If I have not answered your question fully, don't hesitate to ask a follow-up.

I wish you well in your continued recovery.

Mike Zanoni, L.Ac.
Honolulu  

Acupuncture

Michael M. Zanoni, MS, LAc