Acupuncture/Feeling great-now what?

I am pleased to report that the acupuncture treatments are close to normalising my knees. As an added beneficial side effect, my desire for alcohol and food cravings are reduced, so I am losing a bit of weight.
My health plan covers me for X amount of treatments per year. Even if I dont have a pressing medical need for any more treatments next year, would  it be  worthwhile to get treatments anyway as a preventative measure, like taking vitamins? I have hypertension that is being controlled with medication, and there is a history of heart disease and cancer in my family.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Bud -

Most excellent!  I am happy that your knees are better.

Acupuncture can be very helpful as part of a health improvement and maintenance regimen, although in a different way than taking vitamins.  Using supplements is an additive process; acupuncture for health maintenance is a harmonizing or balancing process.  If the acupuncturist you are seeing for the knees is also familiar with acupuncture for health maintenance, then discuss his philosophy.  I see several patients on a regular basis for situations ranging from pulmonary disease to "just a tune up."  They are seen with a frequency of anywhere from weekly to every couple of months depending on their situation.  

Also, with your knees doing better you might consider slowly increasing your physical activity.  This will begin addressing concerns about hypertension and a family history of heart disease.

Again, I am pleased that you are better.

Malama pono, a hui ho - - -

Mike Zanoni

Michael M. Zanoni, MS, LAc

I am knowledgeable about severe and chronic pain from musculoskeletal or neurological conditions, especially trauma, headache, and fibromyalgia. I can provide guidance that will assist healing and recovery after illness or surgery. I have a particular interest in long-term chronic conditions that are becoming progressively worse or intermittently severe (such as viral hepatitis, Crohn's, or Takayasu syndrome.) I have extensive experience treating endocrine disorders, such as diabetes or thyroid problems, where the primary condition is being monitored by a Western-trained physician, and cancer where there are specific treatment goals other than cure (e.g., decrease of pain; reduction of side effects of radiation and chemotherapy; lessening of edema; palliative treatment of associated conditions.) I do not treat or answer questions about infertility, ALS, or senile dementia.

I have practiced Oriental medicine for over sixteen years in a variety of settings. Much of my practice has centered around a busy clinic specializing in severe long-term chronic pain conditions and palliative care. For several years I worked in a hospice program. I also established a non-profit community clinic providing care to under-served and homeless patients. My work has found me in an HIV clinic in San Francisco, a busy private practice in Oregon, to traveling on muddy 4-wheel drive roads to see dying patients. I now teach acupuncture and Oriental medicine at a school in Hawaii.

My training was at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in San Francisco where I received a masterís degree in Chinese Medicine. I have current board certifications in Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture, and Chinese Herbology from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. I also have certifications in Chinese tui na bodywork, Physical Rehabilitation Training, and biofeedback. I am licensed to practice acupuncture and Oriental medicine in Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington. I also have BA, MS, and PhD degrees in subjects not directly related to Oriental medicine.