Acupuncture/Acupunture for chronic arthritus

Hi, has acupuncture been known successfully help to relieve the pain of chronic arthritus which has developed after a compound fracture operation? Its been a couple years since surgery and the pain still persists.

John -

In the best of circumstances, a compound or "open" fracture is not to be taken lightly.  You don't say which joint the arthritis is in, and whether the fracture was of a joint or the long shaft of the bone (e.g., knee vs leg.)  Sometimes a compound fracture of the long bone changes the angle of use of a joint, resulting in pain and/or arthritic changes.  Another issue that sometimes arises with any fracture is entrapment of a nerve when the bone ends are re-approximated or when plates and screws are used.

The bottom line is that acupuncture can be helpful in reducing pain, and sometimes in reducing swelling, for most types of osteoarthritis.  I have one patient now with arthritis in his hip that developed after a severe leg fracture, another patient has arthritis in her ankle from a plate and screws that hold a tibial fracture, and today I saw a patient with arthritic ankle and knee pain resulting from an open fracture of her ankle several years ago.  I mention these only to emphasize that (at least in my practice) this type of condition is relatively common.

Generally, acupuncture will provide a reduction in pain and/or an increase in daily activities.  The relief is typically temporary, however with the right situation pain reduction can become progressively more significant with longer times between treatments.

At the very least, it's worth a try.

Malama pono - - -

Mike Zanoni

Michael M. Zanoni, MS, LAc

I am knowledgeable about severe and chronic pain from musculoskeletal or neurological conditions, especially trauma, headache, and fibromyalgia. I can provide guidance that will assist healing and recovery after illness or surgery. I have a particular interest in long-term chronic conditions that are becoming progressively worse or intermittently severe (such as viral hepatitis, Crohn's, or Takayasu syndrome.) I have extensive experience treating endocrine disorders, such as diabetes or thyroid problems, where the primary condition is being monitored by a Western-trained physician, and cancer where there are specific treatment goals other than cure (e.g., decrease of pain; reduction of side effects of radiation and chemotherapy; lessening of edema; palliative treatment of associated conditions.) I do not treat or answer questions about infertility, ALS, or senile dementia.

I have practiced Oriental medicine for over sixteen years in a variety of settings. Much of my practice has centered around a busy clinic specializing in severe long-term chronic pain conditions and palliative care. For several years I worked in a hospice program. I also established a non-profit community clinic providing care to under-served and homeless patients. My work has found me in an HIV clinic in San Francisco, a busy private practice in Oregon, to traveling on muddy 4-wheel drive roads to see dying patients. I now teach acupuncture and Oriental medicine at a school in Hawaii.

My training was at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in San Francisco where I received a masterís degree in Chinese Medicine. I have current board certifications in Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture, and Chinese Herbology from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. I also have certifications in Chinese tui na bodywork, Physical Rehabilitation Training, and biofeedback. I am licensed to practice acupuncture and Oriental medicine in Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington. I also have BA, MS, and PhD degrees in subjects not directly related to Oriental medicine.