Acupuncture/Shingles

Question
Hello,

My sister has had shingles for at least 3 years maybe more.  Has been treated with Western Medicine, that has done little to help.  Is the anything in acupuncture or Chinese medicine to might give some relief?

Thank you,
Judy

Answer
Hey Judy,

Acupuncture can give great relief for shingles,
Here is a link to Dr. Zi Zai's blog that gives
extensive information about TCM and shingles.
It is for practitioners, but there is a lot of great information.

http://zizaidermatology.wordpress.com/2012/03/29/shingles-part-2-tcm-differentia

He has much more experience in this area, so I defer to his view and information in this case.

I'll give you the gist of what it says.

The Three Most Important Things To Keep In Mind About Treating Shingles (Herpes Zoster):
1.ACUPUNCTURE IS AMAZING AT RELIEVING THE ACUTE PAIN FROM SHINGLES.
2.Practitioners,you must be aggressive and you must treat quickly and frequently.
3.Acute attack of herpes zoster is always an excess (shi) condition.  There may be deficient conditions underlying the development of this illness (especially in the elderly and those with suppressed immune systems), but the acute attack is always excess and must be treated aggressively to spare the patient post-herpetic neuralgia and scarring of the skin (which is rare but is especially a concern when shingles appear on the face).

For many people, shingles will resolve with no problems even if they do not treat it.  But I would not leave it up to such chance.
Acute pain from this condition is easy to treat and responds exceptionally well to acupuncture treatment, but post-herpetic neuralgia can be stubborn and sometimes does not respond to acupuncture treatment.  

THis is all cut and pasted from his blog.
He also has a part one that talks about what it's like for the patient.
I would highly recommend finding someone to help you with acupuncture and herbs.

I hope this helped, be well and if you need me to dig any more info up for you, just let me know.

R. Scott Malone LAc

Acupuncture

R. Scott Malone L.Ac.