Acupuncture/requirements to practice

I can't find the requirements to practice AP in Costa Rico. Whom can I contact for more info..

Interesting that you ask this question.  Although not on point for the nature of this forum, I did look into this issue recently.  Basically, Costa Rica has some very vague regulations about traditional healers.  Before you can get to the point of  practicing, however, you must have permanent residence.  So the first step is to contact the consulate about the current requirements for residency and operating a business.  Then you have to decide if you are going to operate openly or under the radar.  My finding was that at this time there are no regulations for traditional healers but that soon there will be.  In Costa Rica they seem more interested in whether you are operating a business legally than what type of business.  The professionalism of acupuncture is most likely quite low - there are only a couple of practitioners in the country who are NCCAOM certified.

I wish you well in your journey, wherever it takes you.

Malama pono - - -

Mike Zanoni, LAc

Michael M. Zanoni, MS, LAc

I am knowledgeable about severe and chronic pain from musculoskeletal or neurological conditions, especially trauma, headache, and fibromyalgia. I can provide guidance that will assist healing and recovery after illness or surgery. I have a particular interest in long-term chronic conditions that are becoming progressively worse or intermittently severe (such as viral hepatitis, Crohn's, or Takayasu syndrome.) I have extensive experience treating endocrine disorders, such as diabetes or thyroid problems, where the primary condition is being monitored by a Western-trained physician, and cancer where there are specific treatment goals other than cure (e.g., decrease of pain; reduction of side effects of radiation and chemotherapy; lessening of edema; palliative treatment of associated conditions.) I do not treat or answer questions about infertility, ALS, or senile dementia.

I have practiced Oriental medicine for over sixteen years in a variety of settings. Much of my practice has centered around a busy clinic specializing in severe long-term chronic pain conditions and palliative care. For several years I worked in a hospice program. I also established a non-profit community clinic providing care to under-served and homeless patients. My work has found me in an HIV clinic in San Francisco, a busy private practice in Oregon, to traveling on muddy 4-wheel drive roads to see dying patients. I now teach acupuncture and Oriental medicine at a school in Hawaii.

My training was at the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in San Francisco where I received a masterís degree in Chinese Medicine. I have current board certifications in Oriental Medicine, Acupuncture, and Chinese Herbology from the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine. I also have certifications in Chinese tui na bodywork, Physical Rehabilitation Training, and biofeedback. I am licensed to practice acupuncture and Oriental medicine in Hawaii, Oregon, and Washington. I also have BA, MS, and PhD degrees in subjects not directly related to Oriental medicine.