Acupuncture/Chronic pain

Question
Hi I have had chronic abdominal pain for 6-7 years. I don't have a clear diagnosis yet. One doctor Sally's I have porphyria. Another says no. Another says they think it is an auto immune disorder. Another says it is the abdominal wall problem. I had trigger point injections in my abdominal wall. After 5 years of pain I had no more pain for 1 day it was great. They following day after that it came back. I also have cluster headaches. I have had Those for 8-9 years. I am open to acupuncture. My question is does it hurt and can it correct abdominal wall pain. I don't think it will work for cluster headaches. But I am curious about the abdominal wall. Thanks.

Answer
Sean -

Sounds like you have really been "through the wringer" with this pain.  Chronic abdominal pain can often not be taken seriously by physicians once it is determined that the pain is not being caused by something that can kill you.  In your specific case I would want to know a lot more than is appropriate to discuss in a forum like this, but in general terms acupuncture might be helpful.  Does it hurt?  Much depends on the skill of the practitioner, but for the most part no pain but you might experience a grabbing or stinging sensation depending upon which points are used.  Definitely worth a try.

Regarding the cluster headaches, someone familiar with treating this type of headache should be able to make a difference using acupuncture.

I wish you well with resolving these issues.  

Mike Zanoni, L.Ac.
Hawaii

Acupuncture

Michael M. Zanoni, MS, LAc