Acupuncture/neck and back

Hi Heather,

Over the past couple weeks I've had a fair bit of pain in the lower part of the left part of my neck, left upper back, left shoulder and also radiating into the left arm.  

I went to my family doctor and he sent me for an xray of my neck which did not show any issues, but suggested going to a physio.

I've since gone to a physio, who believes I may have some type of disc injury to C6, C7 area.  He is treating my conservatively, so that nothing gets flared up too much, but so far most of the treatment has involved some ice, some manual therapy by him, and various stretches and exercises.

In the past week, I think I've seen some mild improvement, but I still feel an intense pain into my arm a lot of the time.  I will continue with physio once per week as his suggestion.

I'm wondering if you think acupuncture may be beneficial along with physio to expedite the process.  Any advice would be helpful.  Thanks.

Hi Sk,
Yes, it sounds like acupuncture could really help you.  It also works better in conjunction with physical therapy or massage therapy.  There are also some good topical Chinese herbal pastes that could speed the healing process.  I like the golden sunshine brand.  

Good Luck,
Heather Vandeburg LAc MSOM dipLac

Heather Vandeburg L.Ac M.S.O.M. dipl.Ac

I can answer any questions about Acupuncture, Chinese Herbals, Tuina (Chinese massage, Cupping, and Gua Sha. I can answer questions about Qi, Meridians, and Traditional Chinese Medicine Theory. I can answer how these different modalities can benefit different conditions.

I have a Traditional Chinese Medicine Practice in DeKalb IL. I have been practicing TCM since 2002. I have given many lectures and classes on the subject of Chinese Herbal Medicine, Acupuncture, Women’s Health, Nutrition and Acupuncture Facial Rejuvenation. This Includes speaking at an International Conference for the United Leukodystrophy Foundation.

For Women Today, ILAAOM publications, State of Dentistry,

Master degree in Oriental Medicine, Bachelor degree in Nutrition, Bachelor degree in Biological Sciences. I am lisensed and board certified in Acupuncture. I did an advanced internship at Guang Zhou University in Guang Zhou China.

I graduated Summa Cum Laude from Midwest College of Oriental Medicine