Acupuncture/P-6.

Question
I have a ReliefBand and the instructions say the point (P-6) for nausea is two-and-a-half finger widths toward your elbow starting with the wrinkle on your wrist that's closest to your fingertips, but online all over the place they're saying two finger widths. Which one is the right one?

Answer
Mark -
Your question is one of accuracy vs precision. In acupuncture, point location is based on "body inches."  The point Nei Guan (P6) is two body-inches towards the elbow from the wrist crease.  Two finger widths are considered to be 1.5 body inches, so 2 and 1/2 ends up approximating 2.  Here, however, you are dealing with acupressure, which allows for a bit more variation since the stimulation is over a wider area than if you were using a needle.  The easiest way to think of this is that your thumb is considered to be one body-inch wide.  So just approximate two thumb widths from the wrist crease and put the band there.

My concern is why you have the nausea.  Is it from motion sickness or do you have vertigo that is causing nausea?  Please don't hesitate to ask a follow-up question if your issue is something other than simple nausea while on a boat.

I wish you well.

Mike Zanoni, LAc
Hawaii  

Acupuncture

Michael M. Zanoni, MS, LAc