Acupuncture/I.B.S.

Question
Michael
I am male, 56. Good health overall, but somewhat overweight. I have had trouble with digestion since childhood. A normal portion meal bloats me up and makes me tired. This has gotten worse over the years. I believe it is call irritable bowel syndrome or visceral hypersensitivity.
I have found avoiding red meat, fatty foods, and alcohol reduces the symptoms, and taking digestive enzymes and fennel helps too, but it is still there. For example, for supper tonight I had a skinless chicken breast and some rice, but I still need to lie down after.
I have had good success with accupuncture for musculo-skeletal issues. Will it help with this?

Answer
Aloha, Bud -

I applaud your efforts at controlling this difficult condition.  Both acupuncture and herbal formula may be of assistance.  I typically use acupuncture to get a situation under control, and then use herbs to maintain things.  The acupuncture treatment is pretty simple and any experienced practitioner should be able to provide effective care.  The herbal formula I most often use is called Shu Gan Wan in Mandarin and is commonly available.  Depending on your presenting signs and symptoms, however, another formula might be more appropriate.  You don't mention, but I wonder if you have had your gall bladder function checked; this may be also be a factor.  In any case,acupuncture should be helpful.

Mike Zanoni
Honolulu  

Acupuncture

Michael M. Zanoni, MS, LAc