Addiction to Alcohol/Start drinking again?

cher65 wrote at 2013-01-11 03:15:28
I had 20+ years sober and started drinking again due to medical illness's and medication side affects. the saying in AA is true, you pick up where you stopped and much more. At first I was able to control it but now I crave the taate. I'm seeing my doctor soon for help....I dont want all those years sober to be for nothing. I have a few life threating illness's and it's a daily strugle but learned that alcohol doesnt help the anxiety since after a few weeks I cant control how much I drink.

You might be able to "control"  and be a social drinker for a short time but thats it, it will soon control you.

Addiction to Alcohol

I can answer questions on the recovery from alcohol addiction as I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of sobriety. I can also address the spiritual aspects of the 12-Step program as I have a Master of Divinity degree; serve as a pastor in the Quaker church; and, serve as a hospice chaplain. I have also served as a prison chaplain for one year and currently volunteer as a mentor once a week, working with two inmates one-on-one as they work towards reentry into society as free persons.

I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of continuous sobriety.

Master of Divinity awarded in 2000 from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary