Addiction to Alcohol/alcoholism

Dawn wrote at 2013-04-25 12:38:54

Hi, My name is Dawn and I am in the same boat as you, maybe worse. My boyfriend was in the Iraq and Afgan wars. He dranked before his deployment, however it got worse when he return home from his last deployment. I am sure he has some PTSD issues and he said he is drinking to cover up the pain.

He has tried rehab twice and it did not work cause he did not want it to work. We separted for two years cause I found myself in a life that I did not want. We reconnected again after we saw each other in WalMart. I never stopped loving him and actually stayed to myself in those two years cause I had lots of trust issues. Talking to him and finding out that he left the Army, I really thought he had stopped or maybe cut back alot. Yeah right, I asked him to move back in with me and make a life. We planned on a marriage, kids etc... Well it's been almost a year since and he is back to where he was before. He has lost two jobs due to drinking and now all the bills are on me. I am going to ask him to leave again. We have not had sex in 4 months and actually I am having an affair on him. This is not a healthly relationship for me and I need be by myself and never go back into this again. If you want some support, you can try al-ahon or email me at

Addiction to Alcohol

Joseph Lee O.

Greetings to you! I have experienced “Alcoholics Anonymous”, the book, and that is what I share with others. I understand the physical, mental and emotional aspects of the real alcoholic's plight, and here is what can be done to overcome chronic alcoholism: "If you are an alcoholic who wants to get over it, you may already be asking - 'What do I have to do?' It is the purpose of this book ('Alcoholics Anonymous') to answer such questions specifically. We shall tell you what we have done." (page 20)

I took my first drink of alcohol at age 24...and within minutes I had become obsessed with its seemingly-magical effect. That glass of wine had just done something *for* me, and I was amazed. Just seven years later, I wanted to never again touch another drop of alcohol -- I had a desire to stop drinking forever -- but I just could *not* leave the stuff alone. I knew what alcohol was doing *to* me, but I still needed something done *for* me. The effect of the Twelve Steps is now my “sufficient substitute” ("A.A.", page 151) for the effect of alcohol, and I do not have to puke anything back up in the morning!

30-year student of “Alcoholics Anonymous”, the book