Addiction to Alcohol/Please help...

Question
Hello, this question is about my brother, he is 38 years old and is addicted to alcohol,marijuana,and cocaine. He's been an addict for about 20 yrs now. When he was 19 yrs old he was shot in the back of his head with a shotgun that left him blind in both eyes. He has been in and out of rehab numerous times but always relapses, and when he's high and/or drunk he becomes very violent and abusive, our parents are in their late sixties and dealing with his drama for years now and we've just grown tired of his abuse and how bad he treats our parents, we have tried helping him in every way we can think of but he just doesn't want it. I have heard of places that will take a person like my brother against their will to get treated and won't have any contact with anyone not even his family. Is there such a place? We're in desperate need of help, please let me know and your thoughts as well, it will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Answer

Hello to you -

I don't have a lot of time to respond to your query as my wife is recovering from Cancer, but I did want to make sure I gave you some sort of response.    In California they have what is called a 5150 law (you might have already tried that) but here is the link:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/5150_(Involuntary_psychiatric_hold)

I would also invite you to explore anti-craving medications.  My sense is that addiction is largely biochemical and that relapse is largely the result of cravings.  Check out Naltrexone, Campral, Revia, or Vivitrol - I like Vivitrol as it is a once-monthly injectable.   Most of my clients use some sort of anti-craving med.  For folks addicted to Cocaine or Meth I suggest you explore Prazosin.  Th drug was normed on people who have night terrors, but one of the side benefits for addicts is that it alleviates cravings and allows people time to develop supports that allows them to develop ease in their recovery.

I am so sorry I couldn't give you more time.

Todd
http://www.askanaddictioncounselor.com     this is a link to my site which includes bog posts and podcasts.  

Addiction to Alcohol

Todd