Addiction to Alcohol/what foods should I avoid?

Question
Hello, I began taking yesterday.  I feel like it is finally the end of this lifelong cycle of recovering and relapsing.
I know that I should avoid anything with alcohol, but I love to cook Peruvian food and stews.  Some of which require a beer, to cook for at least 2 hours, now will this affect me while using antabuse? I would also like to know if ketchup, mustard, apple  cider vinegar would make me have a reaction? If you can include a list of things I should not eat please let me know.  Thank you in advance.

Answer
Hi, Norma.

Some of your questions are outside the scope of A.A., but I will answer where I can.

You have written:

>> I began taking [antabuse] yesterday.  I feel like it is finally the end of this lifelong cycle of recovering and relapsing.

If you are a real alcoholic, it is unlikely antabuse will keep you from eventually drinking again...and I say that while sharing this overall A.A. experience:

"The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent.  We are unable, at certain times, to bring into our consciousness with sufficient force the memory of the suffering and humiliation of even a week or a month ago. We are without defense against the first drink.
The almost certain consequences that follow taking even a glass of beer do not crowd into the mind to deter us. If these thoughts occur, they are hazy and readily supplanted with the old threadbare idea that this time we shall handle ourselves like other people. There is a complete failure of the kind of defense that keeps one from putting his hand on a hot stove."
("Alcoholics Anonymous", the book, page 24, emphasis added)

I have never taken antabuse myself, but I have known many people who have...and who eventually drank anyway, and simply because the desire for the effect of a few drinks had become greater than any desire to avoid the effect of the antabuse.

>> I know that I should avoid anything with alcohol, but...

Understood.  There was a time when I had a desire to drink safely, and that certainly would have included adding alcohol to food.  However, or at least in my own experience, that “but” eventually had to be replaced with a desire to stop drinking altogether and a willingness to do what it takes to recover in order to keep this from ever happening again:

“First the alcoholic takes a drink,
“Then the drink takes a drink,
“Then the drink takes the alcoholic.” -unknown

>> I love to cook Peruvian food and stews.  Some of which require a beer, to cook for at least 2 hours, now will this affect me while using antabuse?

I do not know.

>> I would also like to know if ketchup, mustard, apple cider vinegar would make me have a reaction?

Again, I do not know.  However, a good doctor, nutritionist or chef might have some answers for you there.

Please know you are always welcomed to write...

Joseph Lee

Addiction to Alcohol

Joseph Lee O.