Addiction to Alcohol/Low Tolerance

My husband is 55, no health issues.
Until a few months ago, he had high tolerance for booze and could drink copious quantities.
In the last few months, he says he still enjoys the taste, but after a couple drinks he gets a headache and slight nausea, and no inclination at all to 'get drunk', especially after a stressfull day.
That seems like normal behaviour to me, as I enjoy a drink but more than a couple puts me to sleep and gives me indigestion.
For me thats great, as his episodes caused some problems.
Is this a normal thing, possibly related to aging? Is he  finally emotionally maturing? Or, is this a sign of failing liver?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Beverley Glazer MA., ICCAC
Beverley Glazer MA., I  
Hi Sue,

I doubt very much if the headaches, nausea etc has anything related to aging or maturity. Only a medical professional is able to diagnose this problem. I suggest that he explain these symptoms to his family doctor.

It could be anything. However, alcoholics have a habit of minimizing their drinking ~ and now he thinks drink is not an issue. It's important for him disclose everything.

I hope this information is helpful,

Thank you for asking AllExperts,

All the best

Addiction to Alcohol

Beverley Glazer

I can answer questions on all addictive behaviors: alcohol, drugs, food, compulsive sex, codependency, gambling, compulsive shoplifting etc.

I have over 20 years experience working in the addiction field. My experience extends to all levels of substance abuse. I've worked in rehabs and detox centers, prisons and half-way houses and have a busy private practice as well as an active website where I can be reached for recovery coaching and consultation. I am a cognitive behavioral therapist, but 12-step programs are an excellent support. When working in the addiction field, there is no cookie-cutter solution. In the recovery field, you witness miracles. That's why I love what I do.

NAADAC The Association for Addiction Professionals, CACCF Canadian Addiction Counselors Federation, CCA Canadian Counseling Association, For more information please see:

BA Psychology, MA Counseling Psychology, ICADC International Alcohol and Drug Counselor, ICAC International Clinical Addiction Counselor, CGC Certified Gambling Counselor.