Addiction to Alcohol/Improvements related to less alcohol?

I am 'hubby' from the previous question! Since then my belly has gone down a bit.  With the help of accupuncture and a better attitude, I can now have one or two drinks without feeling like I need to get hammered. In fact I get nauseous after more than two. Its great!
A couple other things I wanted to mention, and I wonder if the reduction is alcohol is behind them.
I used to get pretty drunk with the boys on my hockey team-especially after a win. The next morning, although not suffering from a hangover, my muscles would be sore for days. I thought this was age related-I am 55. The last couple games, however, I have still exerted myself as much or more on the ice, had a couple drinks, then went home. Hardly any stiffness or soreness next day.   Was the previous soreness alcohol related?
Also, I am seeing more gains and even a bit of muscle definition after working out. I exercise less than before, but previously I noticed hardly any gains from all the work. Same thing?
Lastly, as for the belly, my doctor said he didnt think it was ascites, just central obesity. As mentioned it is shrinking slowly, but at 55 i can live with a belly!
Thanks Peter, all the best.

Good for you, Bud!  You're making a lot of healthful changes and it seems to be working.  I believe you will see additional gains, with probably another year or so for this repair process to fully take hold.  Alcohol is incredibly toxic in large amounts, and the physical and psychological recovery is very gradual.

Keep up the good work!

Addiction to Alcohol

Peter L.

Any questions regarding addictive behavior, withdrawal symptoms, selecting treatment options, relapse prevention, defining abuse vs. dependence, self-help groups, denial and resistance, building motivation, physical health effects of alcohol, substitution of other addictive substances; holistic approaches to addiction recovery.

I have been a counselor, educator, and supervisor in the addiction field for 28 years. I hold alcohol and drug counselor certification and licenses in three states. I have experience with adolescents and adults, ranging from those who are experimental/casual users of alcohol to those with very progressed addictive disorders.

Masters Degree - Behavioral Science CADAC, LADC, LADC1