Addiction to Alcohol/Recovery?

Question
My brother is a recovering alcoholic, although. His commitment to recovering seems to be driven by the fact he is still under probation till tomorrow.  He claims he is recovered, but nothing about his attitude towards family and friends has changed since he quit drinking.  He is super critical of everyone and loves to point out everyone's shortcomings.  Today is the last day of his probation from his last alcohol violation. He announced today that he will be getting everyone a bottle of their favorite liquor for Christmas, because it would be easy one stop shopping and he is too busy.  He then proceeded to list the members of the family and what he would be buying them.  None of us really drink much other than a beer or a glass of wine on a special occasions.  We are all very worried as he has never taken his problem very seriously.  He hasn't had a drink in over a year.   His probation ends tomorrow and we are all terrified this statement from him is just the beginning of his next episode of drinking?

Answer
Worried,
    Thank you for your explanation of the situation.  Indeed your brother is experiencing what we could call a "dry drunk."  That means we aren't drinking but nothing else has changed.  He seems to think, at least by his comments, that somehow, some way he will be able to drink like a normal person.  If he is truly alcoholic, and only he can decide this for himself, the fact is that he can not drink like everyone else.  He will soon find that out.
     So what to do?  I would suggest that each of you politely refuse the gifts of alcohol from him this year as your statement to him about the seriousness of his problem.  This might be enough to cause him to rethink.  Who knows?  As you refuse alcohol you are saying to him that it is not an important part of who you are so maybe he will get the message about this one year dry and start to consider really looking into his problem.
     Hope this may have helped.
Grace and Peace,
Clyde

Addiction to Alcohol

Clyde