Addiction to Alcohol/addiction

I have a question I've been think about for a long time:
Why is alcoholism about addiction and OCD about compulsion?
They seem to have the same behavior. I am confused.

Beverley Glazer MA., ICCAC
Beverley Glazer MA., I
Hi Hank,

To be diagnosed with substance abuse (alcoholism) you must have one or more of the following symptoms within a year: (DSM4)

•   Recurrent substance use that leads to failure to fulfill obligations at work, school or at home.

•   Repeatedly using a substance in situations in potentially dangerous situations, such as driving a car or operating a machine.

•   Recurrent problems with the law because of substance use.

•   Continued use of the substance despite interpersonal problems caused by the substance.

When you’re affected by OCD, you’re at a greater risk of developing substance use disorders, to reduce the severity of the obsessions or compulsions or to decrease the consequences of OCD.  The alcohol and drug use may mask the OCD, but you can have OCD without any substance misuse.

I hope this information is helpful,
Thank you for asking allExperts

Regards & stay in touch,

Addiction to Alcohol

Beverley Glazer

I can answer questions on all addictive behaviors: alcohol, drugs, food, compulsive sex, codependency, gambling, compulsive shoplifting etc.

I have over 20 years experience working in the addiction field. My experience extends to all levels of substance abuse. I've worked in rehabs and detox centers, prisons and half-way houses and have a busy private practice as well as an active website where I can be reached for recovery coaching and consultation. I am a cognitive behavioral therapist, but 12-step programs are an excellent support. When working in the addiction field, there is no cookie-cutter solution. In the recovery field, you witness miracles. That's why I love what I do.

NAADAC The Association for Addiction Professionals, CACCF Canadian Addiction Counselors Federation, CCA Canadian Counseling Association, For more information please see:

BA Psychology, MA Counseling Psychology, ICADC International Alcohol and Drug Counselor, ICAC International Clinical Addiction Counselor, CGC Certified Gambling Counselor.