Addiction to Alcohol/Is Alcohol A Truth Serum??

I have a male best friend who does drink from time to time. Now when sober he does tell me loves me and he will kiss me and hold me tight, but when he drinks he tells me he is in love with me and there is a connection between us, he wants me to sit on his lap and is very touchy feely. My question is.. Could the alcohol be a truth serum and allowing his true feelings to come out. Even though we are "friends" he has the ability to let his true feelings out, because every single time it's the same conversation and the same things are being said and the same actions.. I just don't know how to take him and I would like to know what to do about it.. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Beverley Glazer MA., ICCAC
Beverley Glazer MA., I  
Hi Paula,

The more someone drinks, the more it affects their bran ~ which affects their emotions as well as memories. The person becomes less inhibited, leading to exaggerated emotions ex. if you're happy before drinking, you'll be 'happier' or if your down, you'll be even more depressed or upset.   This is why people tend to argue or act out and do and say things they never would do if they were sober. It is not a truth serum.

His words and actions can be believed when he's sober. Don't trust the words and actions of someone who is drunk.

I hope this information is helpful,

Thank you for asking AllExperts

Addiction to Alcohol

Beverley Glazer

I can answer questions on all addictive behaviors: alcohol, drugs, food, compulsive sex, codependency, gambling, compulsive shoplifting etc.

I have over 20 years experience working in the addiction field. My experience extends to all levels of substance abuse. I've worked in rehabs and detox centers, prisons and half-way houses and have a busy private practice as well as an active website where I can be reached for recovery coaching and consultation. I am a cognitive behavioral therapist, but 12-step programs are an excellent support. When working in the addiction field, there is no cookie-cutter solution. In the recovery field, you witness miracles. That's why I love what I do.

NAADAC The Association for Addiction Professionals, CACCF Canadian Addiction Counselors Federation, CCA Canadian Counseling Association, For more information please see:

BA Psychology, MA Counseling Psychology, ICADC International Alcohol and Drug Counselor, ICAC International Clinical Addiction Counselor, CGC Certified Gambling Counselor.