Addiction to Alcohol/Alcohol effects now

Hi Amarnath
Since the Spring, with the help of accupuncture and Ayruvedic medicine, I have been able to stop my binge drinking.
It has now come to the point where after  more than a couple drinks, I get a headache and nausea.
Is this a good or bad sign? In the past I could drink huge amounts on a regular basis with no discomfort. Could it be this is  indication that my liver or body has healed and is rejecting the poison, where before it didnt?
Thank you very much and God Bless!

Hi Bud,

Sorry for the delay in answering your question.  Nevertheless, it's myth that people who binge drink are not alcoholics.  If you have had the habit of binge drinking and did encounter problems then you are definitely alcohol-dependent.  Please note there is no known cure for alcoholism (which includes frequent binge drinking with problems and compulsive daily drinking despite the consequences one is facing).  The only way to come out of this disease is by arresting it, by staying stop, period.

Heavy regular binge drinking is associated with adverse effects on neurologic, cardiac, gastrointestinal, hematologic, immune, musculoskeletal organ systems as well as increasing the risk of alcohol induced psychiatric disorders. Surprisingly, you were able to stop it with the help of alternative therapy.  But please note, this is short-term treatment, whatever it may be.  It is imperative that you stay stop immediately.  The symptoms of headache & nausea is not due to what you feel is the rejection of alcohol by your body.  After abstinence for a period of time, if you resume drinking, your body has to readjust to the effects of alcohol like before & hence you get this discomfort.  But I do not understand why you have gone back to drinking despite the treatment.  Isn't this self-explanatory? Your obsession to alcohol is still there.  Unless you accept powerlessness over alcohol your obsession will remain & you will go back to drinking despite dire consequences.

I suggest you contact the nearest Alcoholics Anonymous group ( a self-help group for suffering alcoholics).  Here you will meet people who have had the same problem like yours but have taken the path of recovery & are living a serene & happy life.  I also suggest you take a Liver Function Test to make sure your liver is not affected due to your binge drinking.

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have any doubts/problems.  

God bless,

Addiction to Alcohol

Helping build recovery in the lives of individuals, families and communities affected by alcoholism, drug dependency and related diseases. Involved in counseling/rehabilitation. Can answer any question on this subject.

10 Years of Counseling in chemical dependency.

MIND Rehabilitation Center, Bangalore, India. Karnataka Association of Psychiatric Disability,Bangalore, India. Consultant - Addictions: Florence Healthcare Services Email:,

Graduate/Post Graduate
DLCAS Hazelden/Addiction Studies/Theory & Practice of Addiction Counseling/Dual Disorders. HIV/AIDS & Substance Abuse. Can answer any questions on Alcohol related problems.