Addiction to Alcohol/Belly

My husband is a wekend binge drinker. He recently started eating healthier and exercising week days, but like to have 'blow outs' about every second weekend, usually on hard liquor, as a 'reward'.
He is looking and feeling better, but his waistline has not shrunk. If anything it is firmer. In fact it is not like the flabby guts I see other men I see on the beach, he has only a bit of fat and even has a faint six pack. Almost looks like a pregnabt lady.
It is starting to bother him to the point where he may go back to his old ways.
Is this a sign of damage to his internal organs from the alcohol?
Although I think it is mostly genetic, he has males in his family no family to compare himself to, although his older sister says his Dad also had a 'beer gut'
If he could be assured it is only a matter of time for it to get flatter, he would have more resolve to continue.
Thanks for the advvice

Hi Susy,

Addiction to alcohol is more of a physical disorder than a mental disorder, but alcoholism has mental symptoms. I suggest you read articles about addictionsuch as:
Why Alcoholics Drink

Alcoholism is a Treatable Disease

Obesity Controversy

What is Hypoglycemia?

The major disease contributing to addiction and obesity is hypoglycemia, hence the first step in treatment is going on Hypoglycemic Diet

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist.
Emeritus Editor of
The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia.
Author of "Getting off the Hook"
Freely available at Google Book Search
Skype: jurplesman
Also at Facebook:

Addiction to Alcohol

Jurriaan Plesman, Nutritional Psychotherapist

I have a degree in Psychology from the Sydney University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Clinical Nutrition. I am also the author of “GETTING OFF THE HOOK” which deals with the nutritional and psychological treatment of personality disorders. It is freely available on the internet at Google Book Search. I am interested in the relationship between nutrition and behaviour, and as a Probation ans Parole Officer facilitated groups for offenders, many of whom were alcoholics and drug addicts, sex offenders or compulsive gamblers, as well as the whole gamut of “personality disorders”. I am also the ex-editor of the Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia Newsletter, a quarterly publication dealing with hypoglycemia and related health problems. Its web site, together with a shortened course of PSYCHOTHERAPY can be visited at:

Nutritional Psychotherapy and psychotherapy

The Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia

Book: "Getting Off the Hook"freely available on the internet at Google Book Search.
Editor: Hypoglycemic Health Association of Australia My articles can be found at:

BA(Psych), Sydney University, Post Grad Dip Clin Nutr (International Academy of Nutrition)