Addiction to Alcohol/Not enjoing the buzz anymore...

Question
I have gone from a problem drinker to a chronic to a once a month stay at home binger. My wife is happy for my progress, but because I have bad knees I tend to fall when I am intoxicated. There is a real risk of injury here.
Besides, I dont enjoy the buzz as much as I used to-in fact I get nauseaous after a couple drinks. That usually limits it, but sometimes when I am stressed, and with my job a stressfull situation happens atleast once a month, I will drink through the nausea to get intoxicated.
Is there a technique I can use to stop?
Should I switch to weed?
Should I just go cold turkey?
Thanks for any help!

Answer
>> “I have gone from a problem drinker to a chronic to a once a month stay at home binger.  My wife is happy for my progress...”

Many of us have tried many things to find some way to drink safely...or in your own case, maybe a way to drink at least a little more safely...

>> “...but because I have bad knees I tend to fall when I am intoxicated. There is a real risk of injury here.”

Have you ever tried to live without drinking at all?

>> “I don’t enjoy the buzz as much as I used to-in fact I get nauseous after a couple drinks. That usually limits it...”

You might or might not be an alcoholic.  Once an alcoholic takes a drink, the drink takes a drink and we lose all control and nausea never slowed me down!

>> “...sometimes when I am stressed...I will drink through the nausea to get intoxicated.”

Yes, that is more like what we alcoholics do.

>> “Is there a technique I can use to stop?”

None as far as I know, and this might help explain that:

“If, when you honestly want to, you find you cannot quit entirely, or if when drinking, you have little control over the amount you take, you are probably alcoholic. If that be the case, you may be suffering from an illness which only a spiritual experience will conquer...”

“There is a solution. Almost none of us liked the self-searching, the leveling of our pride, the confession of shortcomings which the process requires for its successful consummation. But we saw that it really worked in others, and we had come to believe in the hopelessness and futility of life as we had been living it. When, therefore, we were approached by those in whom the problem had been solved, there was nothing left for us but to pick up the simple kit of spiritual tools laid at our feet. We have found much of heaven and we have been rocketed into a fourth dimension of existence of which we had not even dreamed.

“The great fact is just this, and nothing less: That we have had deep and effective spiritual experiences which have revolutionized our whole attitude toward life, toward our fellows and toward God's universe. The central fact of our lives today is the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives in a way which is indeed miraculous. He has commenced to accomplish those things for us which we could never do by ourselves.

“If you are as seriously alcoholic as we were, we believe there is no middle-of-the-road solution. We were in a position where life was becoming impossible, and if we had passed into the region from which there is no return through human aid, we had but two alternatives: One was to go on to the bitter end, blotting out the consciousness of our intolerable situation as best we could; and the other, to accept spiritual help.  This we did because we honestly wanted to, and were willing to make the effort.” (“Alcoholics Anonymous”, page 44, pages 25-26)

>> “Should I switch to weed?”

That never worked for me.

>> “Should I just go cold turkey?”

How long do you think you might be able to stay sober?

>> “Thanks for any help!”

You are welcome.

Addiction to Alcohol

Joseph Lee O.