Addiction to Alcohol/son alcoholic,

Question
my 38 year old son was on methadone program and drinks heavy been this way for a long time years now he has stopped his meth program he just drinking bottles of spirits  daily  he stays outside off licence drinking all day till he falls on the ground he gets arrested 5/6 times a week been drunk and disorderly i don t allow him drink in my home so he does it on the streets he comes to my home could be 2am treating and abusive if i don t allow him in to my home why do i allow him do this to me my family are falling out with me because im allowing my son to do what he doing they want me to put him out and wash my hands of him

Answer
The only question I see here is "why do i allow him do this to me" so this is what I will try to help with.  I would suggest getting to an Al-anon meeting ASAP.  Al-anon is a support network for the families of alcoholics.  They will be able to help you, and you should go today.  Here is a list of meetings in Dublin:

http://www.al-anon-ireland.org/Dublin%20meetings.htm

Also, I would recommend seeing a counselor who specializes in addiction and families.  You're in what sounds like a really tough situation and you need all the help you can get.  This question is way beyond the scope of this forum.  You need to work with someone professional or a group like Al-anon long term to get the help you need. Do not wait to do this.  This is a serious situation.

I hope this was helpful and I wish you and your son peace.  Good luck to you,
Erin

Addiction to Alcohol

Erin Madigan Stathis, LMHC, NCC