Addiction to Alcohol/Article about recovery process

Hi, I'm a recovering addict with 5 years clean and sober. I'm going to college and working on my Masters so I can become a substance abuse counselor. I'm trying to find a scholarly article on the process of recovery from drug addiction. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time. Sincerely, Barbra

Thank you for your questions and yes, I do have a suggestion for your work.  When I found myself recovering from alcoholism some 20+ years ago, I found a book by a medical doctor, Anne Geller, entitled "Restore Your Life," to be instrumental in giving me information about the effects of alcohol on the body and, more importantly, the effects of sobriety on the body.  A marvelous read.  Thought it might be a start for your work to decide on what facet of recovery you feel is more interesting to you.  A funny - one night I was reading the book (maybe 6 months sober, or so), and the very page I was reading was the physiology of nerve ending repair causing the extremities to itch and peel.  At that moment I noticed that my fingers were peeling and itched!
   Hope this may give you some ideas on the material you seek.  I do not have a copy of that book any longer but I think I will order one right now from
   stay in touch and blessings on your continued recovery, your work in college, and your future ministry.
Grace and Peace,

Addiction to Alcohol

I can answer questions on the recovery from alcohol addiction as I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of sobriety. I can also address the spiritual aspects of the 12-Step program as I have a Master of Divinity degree; serve as a pastor in the Quaker church; and, serve as a hospice chaplain. I have also served as a prison chaplain for one year and currently volunteer as a mentor once a week, working with two inmates one-on-one as they work towards reentry into society as free persons.

I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of continuous sobriety.

Master of Divinity awarded in 2000 from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary