Addiction to Alcohol/beer

Im 42 and otherwise healthy. I have always enjoyed drinking beer and wine but typically only drank a couple nights per week. The last month or so I have been drinking 2-3 beers per night. Either with company or alone. I drink 4 on Friday and Saturdays. If you do the math that is 23 per week. Now, I have friends who drink more than that. I seldom, if ever, get drunk but enjoy my daily beers. Im a professional, educated and drinking never interferes with my job or daily life. However, my dependency on a few beers every night concerns me. Do I sound like an alcoholic?

Thank you for your questions and for the brief explanation of your drinking habits.  You're correct that more beers does not necessarily make one an alcoholic - it is not the amount - it is the behavior and the motivation for the behavior.
    Since you are asking the question, i assume that this is causing you some consternation.  Perhaps someone has brought this to your attention?  Perhaps you have some alcoholism in the family?  
    Those are the type of questions you might want to consider.  There are also some quickie alcoholism quizzes you can take on the internet to get a feel for your possible alcoholic tendencies.  For the most part, it is not a "drinking" thing anyway, it is a "thinking" thing.  All addictions are rooted in behaviors, not the physical addiction.  We say in AA that it is a physical craving and a mental obsession to drink.  Same goes for sex, gambling, shopping, internet, etc.
    One last thing, all addictions are also rooted in one common delimma, they destroy relationships or the ability to have good, sound meaningful interactions with people.
     Hope these thoughts might give you some things to explore.  You also might get a copy of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous  titled "Alcoholics Anonymous" and read some of the behaviors that did lead to alcoholic lifestyles.
Grace and Peace,

Addiction to Alcohol

I can answer questions on the recovery from alcohol addiction as I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of sobriety. I can also address the spiritual aspects of the 12-Step program as I have a Master of Divinity degree; serve as a pastor in the Quaker church; and, serve as a hospice chaplain. I have also served as a prison chaplain for one year and currently volunteer as a mentor once a week, working with two inmates one-on-one as they work towards reentry into society as free persons.

I am a recovering alcoholic with 22 years of continuous sobriety.

Master of Divinity awarded in 2000 from Garrett-Evangelical Theological Seminary